Chapter 1

- A dark place -

The stench of rotting flesh and the feeling of getting hunted were some of the things Kato felt on a daily basis. He could hear the screams echoing from the mines in the distance, someone had been stupid enough to enter.  

"Please, don't make a sound" Kato carefully took out a magic crystal from a scrap pile the size of a house. He breathed out in relief as he put the small glowing crystal in his pocket.

This was the nest of creatures named screechers and it made up half of the island he lived on. These creatures had ridicilously sensitive hearing and didn't hesitate with tearing someone apart. 

While walking past a pile of magic materials Kato stopped as he saw his own reflection in a huge silver plate. Black messy hair, light colored skin and purple eyes. He was wearing a worn out purple hoodie and some dark cargo pants for the pockets and mobility. His shoes had seen better days as well.

Kato looked at the pile in front of him and quickly decided not to take anything from it, there was a risk of it collapsing. If the collapse of that didn't kill him the creatures that followed the noise would.

He walked away from the pile, he had been doing this since he was nine and now he was closing in on seventeen. In the searching party he was the one who had survived the longest among this generation.

"Hey, look at this one John, it is sure to make your father recognize you and bring in a lot of money from the outsiders visiting this week," A boy was talking to the island's so-called prince John, his father was the criminal boss of this place.

This island was a country with close to no outside contact and unfortunately; The main source of income came from this massive screecher nest. For common people this place was a way to make a living and for nobles it was a test of courage. 

"Look at this guys! This surely will make my father notice me," This idiot was the island's prince John and this was his first time in the nest. 

"Keep it down, you will get us killed," Kato hissed while trying to keep his voice down. 

"If it isn't the cursed one, how is it gathering materials without magic?" John asked just loud enough for the people with him to notice as well.

Kato took a deep breath and turned around annoyed, he saw the people with him starting to pull out the huge silver plate from earlier.

"Don't pull it..." Kato was about to warn them but John interrupted.

"Kato listen, these guys are easily able to take this, don't worry your little brain okay?" John brushed him off annoyed and when they pulled out the plate, making the pile spectacularly crash down.

Everything turned silent the birds went quiet, everyone stopped moving and for ten seconds the world was on hold. An ear piercing screech could be heard in the distance and all of them covered their ears. 

"We can use him as bait so we can secure the cargo," Kato was unsure if he had heard that correctly as his ears was ringing. John made ice appear at his feet and Kato was stuck to the ground. 

"What are you doing!?" Needless to say Kato was angry and glared at John. 

"Let's see if you can get out alive this time Kato," John smiled and ran off with the rest of his group.

"If I survive this I will beat that coward to a pulp..." Kato cursed and reached inside his pocket.

He took out a black crystal and started hitting the ice on his feet, at the same time he heard something closing in.