Chapter 28

As I stand outside of Turnout with Jason, Tommy, and Pamela flanking me on either side, different emotions battle in my mind. I want to see Liam again, but I also have no idea if he wants to see me. And I'm terrified of what will happen if he doesn't.

"Please try not to faint when you see him again," Jason says dryly from next to me. "I don't need to take you to the hospital, I've been driving you around enough today."

I elbow him. "I seriously don't know what Helene ever saw in you."

The corner of his mouth lifts in amusement.

Tommy shifts nervously from next to me. "Are we going to go in, or..."

I square my shoulders. "Right. Yes."

The walk to the studios in Turnout feels like an eternity, each step slower than the last. As we reach the top step, I feel light-headed, and Pamela reaches out to grasp my hand.

And there he is. Liam. His back is to me, and he's talking in hushed tones with Madame Ana, but he's there.

"Liam," I manage to croak out. When he turns, I don't know whether to run to him and hug his neck or to run away.

"Cel-- Celeste? Hey."

My feet feel rooted into the ground. I want to pummel him with my fists and call him a traitor, but I'm too frozen to say anything.

Thankfully, Pamela handles it for me.

"You should be ashamed of yourself," she says angrily. "After Project Dance and the.. accident, Celeste just needed you to look out for her. Not to leave."

His eyes are pained. "I know. I had no choice. My dad said that if I stayed with you, Celeste, that he'd do the same thing to you that he did to Tommy's family all those years ago."

I hear Tommy's breath hitch from beside me. I realize belatedly that Liam hasn't recognized who he is yet.

"What could your father have done?" I ask.

"He was going to spread a rumor that you had a permanent injury, ruining your chances of getting into a prestigious ballet academy. And I believed him. You don't know how influential he is."

"He essentially blackmailed you, Liam," Pamela says, shaking her head. "Bastard."

I look at her, then Jason and Tommy. "Can you guys... give us some privacy, please?"

Pamela narrows her eyes, but leaves promptly with the two boys. I look at Madame Ana over Liam's shoulder, who is smiling brightly at me, despite the tension that lingers palpably in the air. It fills me with momentary warmth, and I watch as she retreats into her office.

I turn to Liam. "Look, I don't care if your dad spreads rumors–"

"I am so sorry," Liam says, his voice breaking. "I wish.. I wish I could turn back time to where I never left you in New York. But it's over now. I don't have to be scared of my dad anymore. He won't say anything about your injury."

"How?" I ask, my voice small.

"I said that if he spread any rumors about you, I would tell everyone at the company about Jason dropping out from Cambridge, which would cause quite a ruckus. I mean, just think about it, he had two sons and both of them don't want to take over the family company? It isn't exactly a glowing recommendation. So don't worry, Nomikos, you're safe."

"Your dad can spread however many rumors he likes," I say. "It won't stop me from seeing you, or talking to you, or– or wanting to be with you."

His breath hitches. "I don't deserve you. I didn't grow up with many truly good people in my life.  I don't think I've ever known someone as selfless and big-hearted as you, and when I met you, it was like waking up and realizing that there really is true, honest good in the world. You make me a better person, Celeste."