Chapter One

"You love me," Zenor said, laughing as he stole my money.

"No," I huffed. "I really don't."

Poker night in the servant's quarters had never been more of a waste. Ever since Zenor arrived from hell, or wherever he was from, I had been steadily losing my wages from tending Edie's shop in town on the weekends. I had to fight Mom to allow me to even have a job because, by her logic, I shouldn't have to work once I was mated to Eleazar.

But it had been over a year since his departure, and although his letters were once something I could count on twice a month, they began to slow as time crept on.

Zenor winked at me, pocketing the last of my cash, as he did most nights that I dared to challenge him. From poker to potato peeling races, he had me beat. And I was determined to find a weakness.

I faked a yawn, knowing my limits.

"Not again," he chuckled, sitting back in his creaky chair. "You can't just keep scurrying up to bed when you lose."

My jaw fell open. "I do not do that." I turned to the Maisie, the scullery girl, and Cook. "Tell him I don't do that."

Cook scoffed. "Is that a formal request, Ryn? Because I don't like having to lie on account of your pride."

I narrowed my eyes, leaning back in defeat. "Already then, fine. I'll stay up for one more game. But not poker."

"What do you suggest then?" Zenor asked. "I'm sure the outcome will be the same."

I tapped my chin, thinking of everything he had succeeded at since arriving in town. Dad had been kind enough to let him work for us in the kitchen, then the stables, and finally he had worked his way into becoming a permanent fixture on our property. From gardening to horse races, he had mastered it all with ease. Which was odd given his low social standing. "Do you like trees?"

Zenor raised an eyebrow.

***

"This is a bad idea," he said, staring up at me from the ground. I glanced down, pausing when I realized how handsome he was without his hair falling over his face.

"Are you scared?" I asked, never giving him a moment's rest from my teasing.

He narrowed his dark eyes, only visible when the clouds parted, letting the moonlight strike him. "No. I'm just not enthusiastic about you falling to your death, leaving me to explain to your father how you died trying to beat me at something."

I scoffed. "He wouldn't be surprised."

While frowning, he grumbled, "That's not a good thing."

I ignored his negativity, still holding out hope that he'd join the race. "The longer you wait, the more certain I am that you'll lose."

Zenor groaned, well below me. I didn't bother looking back, the top of the willow in my sights. I shifted my weight, finding my footing on a scraggly branch but knowing it was the fastest way to the sky. I hadn't climbed in ages, at least since Eleazar left town. So when the cracking began, I panicked, lurching forward to grab the next branch above me.

My shifting was enough to cause the branch to break from underneath me. I dangled in the air, swearing under my breath. I strained, almost lifting myself to safety before I saw something in the tree across the field. Ruby red eyes watched me as I hung in the air, drowning out Zenor's voice.

My grip loosened as the bark fell apart in my hands, and suddenly, I was falling, crashing into the limbs and tumbling toward the ground faster than I could shift to break my fall. A scream clawed up my throat, threatening to pierce the night air, but then Father would come, and Zenor would be blamed for my stupidity.

I stayed silent, bracing for impact, and a sharp wave of pain that never hit me. Instead, Zenor caught me, snatching me out of the air and cradling me in his arms. I sucked in a breath, letting myself sink into him.

The first thing out of his lips was, "I told you so."

I rolled my eyes. "You think this is my first time falling out of a tree?"

"No. Unfortunately, I don't." He laughed, grinning. "Don't worry, I still think you're plenty pretty."

I squirmed, realizing his grip had tightened on me. "I'd like to be put down now." Zenor obliged, setting me on solid ground with little more than a huff.

Before he could say anything he'd learn to regret, I held up my hand. "Pay up."

He raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

I gestured to the tree. "I beat you. Fair and square."

He shook his head, pulling out coins from his pocket and placing them in my open hand. "Are you satisfied with yourself?" he asked, studying my face.

I bit the inside of my cheek, butterflies appearing out of the darkness and creating chaos in my stomach. "Actually, yes."

"Good," he said. "Can I escort you back home, Ms. Ryn?"

I narrowed my eyes. He knew that I hated formalities. "If you must."

He held out his arm, offering me company on my two-minute journey. "I believe I must."

I mustered the courage to walk with him, trying to forget the eyes in the trees and why they seemed so familiar.