Prolog

5 years ago, New York

The pain of giving birth was nothing compared to the agony of staying with my abusive boyfriend. I knew I had to escape, but I was terrified of what he would do if he found out.

Thankfully, my best friend Amalia offered to help. She had always been there for me, through thick and thin, and I knew I could trust her with my life. Together, we made a plan to leave and stay with her aunt in Italy, now that Xavier is on a work trip.

As we drove away, tears streaming down my face, I felt a mix of fear and relief. I was leaving behind a life of pain and fear, but I was also leaving behind a part of myself. But with Amalia by my side, I knew I could start fresh and build a new life for myself and my baby.

Amelia quickly made arrangements with her  aunt and packed up everything I needed for Camelia and myself. With Amalia's help, we snuck out of the hospital and made our way to the airport. I was terrified of what Xavier would do if he found out I had taken Camelia, but I knew I had to protect her at all costs.

As we boarded the plane to Italy, I felt a sense of relief wash over me. I knew that this was the right decision for both me and Camelia. I couldn't bear the thought of her growing up in a toxic environment with Xavier as her father.

In Italy, we started a new life. I found a job and a small apartment for us to live in. Camelia was thriving and growing every day, and I knew that I had made the right choice in leaving Xavier behind.

I knew that I had made the right decision in protecting Camelia and giving her a chance at a better life. And with Amalia by my side, I knew that we would be able to face whatever challenges came our way.

As I looked down at Camelia sleeping peacefully in my arms, I knew that I would do anything to keep her safe and happy. I was grateful for the support and love of my best friend, Amalia, who had been there for me every step of the way.