Chapter 8

Furious with Tama for keeping the truth from me, I leave The Strays' hideout and go back to my apartment. After a long night of tossing and turning, I realize that I have to tell Rei, Tatsuki, and the others about my father.

- After taking the time to gain everyone's trust, this is going to set me back. Rei even finally opened up to me about what happened with his girlfriend. But there's nothing I can do. I have to tell them, I say. My mind made up, I set off for The Strays' hideout.

When I arrive, Tatsuki is sitting at the table in the lounge and drinking a small glass of milk.

- Morning, Tatsuki. Glad to see you back on two feet, I say. He gives me a small smile.

- Thanks in large part to you, I hear, Tatsuki says. I shake my head.

- If it weren't for Rei, I don't know if we would've even gotten out of there. How's Tama doing, I ask.

- He's still asleep. It seems he transformed back too quickly, so he needs a little more rest, Tatsuki says.

- I see, I say. I sit down at the table with a sigh.

- Tatsuki, I have something I need to talk with everyone about, I say. I watch as his eyebrows knit together.

- From the tone of your voice, I'm guessing it's something serious, Tatsuki says. I nod. Just then, Rei comes through the door, several of the other Strays on his heels.

- Tatsuki, glad to see you up and about, Rei says.

- Good morning, Rei. Kira says she's got something she wants to talk about, Tatsuki says. Rei arches an eyebrow.

- Oh really, Rei asks. He sits down across from us and the others sit on a nearby couch. I take a deep breath, looking down at my hands.

- You know the calico cat, the one that stays at Yama's side, I ask. The others nod.

- That cat, before he started following the witch, he and I, Rei says. His mouth twists slightly.

- He helped me out more than once. Do you know something about him, Rei asks.

- I didn't know for sure until yesterday. That cat is my father, I say. Rei's eyes widen, and Tatsuki's mouth drops open. Several of the members seated on the couch stand up, pointing accusing fingers at me.

- She's connected to the witch, a Stray says.

- I knew she couldn't be trusted, a Stray says. I look down at my lap, feeling ashamed.

- Kira, how did you find this out, Tatsuki asks.

- Well, you know the red collar the cat wears. When we ran into him the other day, I noticed it looked a lot like a bracelet my father used to wear. He left us suddenly when my mom got sick, you see. I started to suspect, but it didn't seem to make much sense. But then yesterday, Yama told me I'd be just like my father soon enough, I say. I pause, trying to decide if I should tell them it was Tama who confirmed my suspicions.

- It serves him right. If I'm in trouble for this, he should be too, I say in my head.

- So, last night, I asked Tama about it, I say.

- Tama, Rei asks. I sigh.

- Tama knew my father, I say. Rei's eyebrows climb even higher.

- I know that you thought he was abandoned, but he was my family's cat. I'd thought he'd wandered off. I was so worried about him. Anyway, he told me that the calico cat is my father, and he's known for some time. That's the real reason why he stayed here, I say.