Chapter 2: A Maker of Real Friends

__.—♥️ Howdy Fiction Fiends! ♥️—.__

Chapter 2 is here! Yeehaw! I can't believe we're already over 5000 words into the story with so much more to come! I hope you've all been doing well and enjoying the lovely summer weather! Where I am, everything is nice and toasty HOT!!! Perfect for sitting in the shade and typing out the next chapter for Betrayal's Embrace!

I've been challenging myself to write every day so that I can truly hone my ability to write without overthinking. And this lil' challenge is especially helping me to write for longer periods without having too many brain farts. It's been going sooooo well! Especially with the two projects I'm currently working on! My fanfiction and the manuscript for my novel are rolling out smoothly—I couldn't be more excited! If you like to write, are there any projects you're currently working on? I hope you like this chapter! 

Ciao for now, Fiction Fiends!

___.———♥️———.___

Y/N slapped a hand down on the digital clock that sat on her nightstand, poorly attempting to silence the alarm that chirped over and over again. She bopped the device once and then twice before peeling open an eye and realizing she'd been woken up an hour earlier than her alarm was supposed to go off. The clock blinked its red light at her and read 6:09 am. Holding the clock's imaginary gaze, the half-dazed Y/N slapped the clock again before concluding that the digital box on her nightstand wasn't the cause of the chirping, but were the birds that sang sweetly outside of her window.

Ughhhhh... she groaned.

She closed her eyes. The chirping did not cease. She rolled over once, then twice before stuffing her face into the mess of pillows at the head of her bed. The birds, seemingly keen on disturbing her sleep, chirped louder.

Ughhhhhhhhhh... she groaned again.

After several minutes of rolling around, trying to get comfortable, Y/N couldn't stand it any longer. Flipping the covers off of her body, dramatically exposing her blue PJs to the early morning sun, she heaved herself up and out of bed. The light danced through the blinds' slim openings and tickled her skin awake. Her body told her to flop back down and embrace the warm blankets, but the birds that mocked her were only getting noisier.

I'm up way too early for this, she thought.

Even on weekdays, Y/N tended to sleep in. Uncle Pedro would her tease about it while Aunt Olivia would worry she wasn't getting enough rest. With how much time she spent gaming with Echo, Y/N would call it a "good night" if she got more than 6 hours of sleep. But with how busy her first day of school had been and with Echo preoccupied at work, Y/N didn't have an excuse to stay up late that night. She ended up crashing into her cushions before the sun had the chance to set, leaving her Aunt and Uncle to eat dinner by themselves. But they didn't seem to mind. They were happy to hear about Y/N's classes and new friend, Marcello. Or at least, as much as she could say before grumbling about needing rest and heading off to bed.

The afternoon before, Y/N had followed Marcello out of the school and across the street to a park she'd only seen in passing, but never actually wandered into. The open space was full of benches and small sitting areas, perfect for studying or hanging out with friends before class. The two picked a sunny spot near the water fountain and began emptying the contents of their bags and spreading their notes onto the table when Marcello's phone rang.

Y/N watched as he huffed, nodded, shook his head, and then wished the person on the other line a good day. "Our final group member can't make it today, so I guess it's just you and me," he said, letting his phone hit the table with a loud thud.