Chapter 9: Rewrite Our Stars

Lily stood by her apartment window, her gaze fixed on the city outside. The evening sun cast a warm glow over the skyline, painting the buildings in shades of gold and amber. But inside, Lily's heart was heavy with the weight of memories—the memories of Ayden and the choices that had led them to this moment.

The day she walked out on Ayden echoed in Lily's mind, a haunting reminder of a decision made in exhaustion and frustration. She had loved Ayden deeply, fiercely, but somewhere along the way, the demands of her career had begun to overshadow their relationship.

It wasn't that Lily hadn't wanted to support Ayden's art showcase—it was that she had felt stretched thin, her energy depleted by the relentless demands of her work as an ER doctor. And in her exhaustion, she had made a choice that had irreparably changed the course of their relationship.

Lily remembered the hurt in Ayden's eyes, the disappointment that had seeped into the space between them. She had tried to explain, tried to make Ayden understand the pressures she was under, but the words had fallen flat, lost in their growing distance.

And now, standing here years later, Lily couldn't shake the regret that ate her heart. She had let Ayden slip away, and had failed to fight for their love when it mattered most. The recent encounter at the hospital had only deepened the ache of what could have been—a reminder of the love they had shared and the love that still lingered, unspoken and unresolved.

Lily closed her eyes, willing herself to confront the truth she had been avoiding for so long. She had carried the weight of her choices, the burden of her regrets, and now, faced with the absence of Ayden in her life.

As the evening wore on, Lily found herself drawn to Ayden's paintings—the vibrant paintings that had captured their love, their joy, and their pain. She stood before each one, tracing the lines and colours that spoke of a love that had once been her anchor, her happiness.

In the quiet of her apartment, Lily allowed herself to feel—to acknowledge the longing that had simmered beneath the surface of her busy life. She had buried herself in work, in the relentless ER, using it as a shield against the memories that threatened to unravel her.

But now, standing amidst Ayden's art, Lily felt the walls she had built around her heart begin to crumble. She couldn't deny the love she still held for Ayden, nor could she ignore the ache of regret that had settled deep within her soul.

"I'm sorry, Ayden," Lily whispered into the silence of the room, her voice tinged with sorrow. "I'm sorry for the mistakes I made, for the choices that drove us apart."

Tears welled in Lily's eyes as she thought of Ayden—of the moments they had shared, the dreams they had woven together, and the love that had once been their home. She knew she couldn't undo the past, couldn't erase the pain she had caused.

With a deep breath, Lily made a decision—a decision to confront her feelings, to find a way to heal the wounds that had kept her from Ayden for so long. She didn't know what the future held, didn't know if Ayden would ever forgive her or if they could rebuild what they had lost.

But as she stood there, surrounded by Ayden's art, Lily vowed to take the first step—to reach out, to apologise, and to finally lay bare the truth of her heart.

___________

The next day, Lily gathered her courage and set out to find Ayden. She found herself standing once again outside the coffee shop where they had last seen each other. Pushing open the door, Lily scanned the room, her eyes searching for Ayden amidst the crowd. And there, in a quiet corner by the window, she saw her—Ayden, sitting alone with a sketchbook in front of her, lost in thought.