Chapter Nineteen

The test went on for another two hours before every woman in the town of Ellford had sat in the chairs. When the last five women stood and returned to the crowd the men were allowed to return and husbands went over to hug their wives and daughters, pleased and relieved that their fears had turned out to be unfounded.

     Tala watched the reunion of the Tanner men with their women with anxiety and impatience. She still remembered how the Knight with the greasy skin had seemed to become more interested in her during the worst part of the trial and she couldn't help wondering whether they were laying some kind of trap for her. Perhaps the real test was to make them think they'd passed, to lull them into a false sense of security, and then... Something. She wasn't sure what the something would be but she knew she wouldn't be able to relax until they were all safely home. Every moment the men spent hugging their women was an agony for her, therefore. Let's just go, she mentally pleaded. For God's sake, let's all just get back aboard the buggy and go home!

     She became aware of a presence closing on her from behind and turned, expecting to see Grady the healer, perhaps, coming to ask how she was coping in her new home. She almost leapt put of her skin in terror when she saw that it was Gareth, the youngest of the Knights of Vell, striding purposefully towards her. His eyes were fixed on her, dispelling any thought that he just happened to be coming in her direction. She was definitely his target. There was no doubt about it.

     For a moment she almost just ran. She came to within a hairsbreadth of just fleeing in panic, an unmistakable admission that she was one of those they were hunting. She was saved by the look in his eyes. It was a hopeful look, and it was obvious what he was hoping for. Perhaps, feeling relieved at having passed the test, she would now be more open to his advances. After all, she'd only known Dougal for a few short weeks. It was clearly a marriage of convenience, she needing a home and he looking for a woman to bear his children. She clearly didn't love him, and maybe she would be in the mood for a brief fling before he and the other Knights went on to the next village.

     She made herself stand, therefore, and waited for him. She saw other women taking note of the Knight's advance and pointing it out to their friends with knowing, conspiratorial smiles. It made Tala hate them, but she put them out of her mind. She would need every ounce of her wits and willpower to survive this unexpected final trial. She braced herself to endure it.

     "Well, there we are," said Gareth when he reached her side. "All over. I expect you're relieved to finally have it behind you."

     "Just thinking about the work on the farm we need to catch up on, really," Tala replied. "It's going to be a busy day tomorrow."

     "I know all this must seem like a terrible inconvenience," the Knight said unapologetically. "You know why we have to do it, though, and now you can relax knowing there are no witches in your town."

     "We were pretty sure of that anyway."

     "You can never be really sure until we've been and made sure," said Gareth. "They're becoming really good at hiding."

     "Where will you be going next?" asked Tala.

     "Sweddell," said Gareth. "But not for a couple of days yet. We've got a few small things still to do before moving on. Just trying up loose ends, really. So I'll be in town for a little while longer."

     "Well, I doubt I'll be seeing you again. As I said, I'll be busy on the farm along with the rest of the family."

     The Knight looked disappointed but he wasn't ready to give up just yet. "We could still meet up one evening, if you want," he said. "No funny business. Just to enjoy an evening together. I could tell you what it's like to be a Knight and you can tell me about life on a farm."