10

Like a glass half-full inside his brain, Mason's words allowed Denny to remember fragments of last night. They included several people spilled out of the glass, such as Mason, as well as two girls he talked to with Mason. But he had trouble remembering their faces, or even their names. Still, this must've been what Mason was talking about now, the reason why Denny was involved.

Even so, he was shocked that Mason would suggest something so casual as his compensation. Being a...wingman...was what friends would try to do for each other. The two of them had just met last night, and Mason was already regarding Denny as someone who could help him with a personal matter. Why did he feel rather affronted about it?

"I got it now," Denny said to Mason, tapping his forehead. "That was what I did for ya last night, huh?"

"Exactly!" Mason confirmed, closing his laptop to wholly talk to Denny. "It's like you have this...aura...about you, that gets people lookin' your way! I could never have that."

Do I? Denny asked himself, taking the compliment seriously. It was probably the alcohol that brought it out of me. I never act that way when I'm sober.

Of course, Denny thought of it like a mask, or an alter ego, that came out when drinks and drugs were involved. If he possessed some kind of charm from that other self, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to use it every once in a while. After all, it was what brought Mason along to this wild business plan with so many risks.

That's right, a voice spoke to him abruptly, coming from the shadows of the dark grey shutters. The inner side, the one you never show others. Don't you see now how useful, how fun it can be?

But...it's dangerous, Denny spoke back to the voice, unnerved that it came back. I lose control. I do stupid shit. It doesn't always help me like dis.

Isn't what you're doing now even more dangerous? The voice retorted, implying the business. Full of risks? Sure paths to failure? That's real, this is just for fun! There's no harm in having fun and escaping reality, right?

"Right?" Mason's voice impeded on his thoughts, making Denny lose hearing of the other voice. "Um...y-you were spacin' out there. A-anyways, I first met you that night, 'cause I went out with a few friends in my major to parties. There's this one girl, who's super pretty an' nice, and we talked a lot that night."

"Her name's Lucie," Mason went on, giving Denny more details. "She was there, at Zeta Psi, with her friend Brianne. She liked my random history facts until we...um...had nothin' else to talk about. That's when you came in."

"You put your hand on my shoulder, an' said that I was your buddy from way back," Mason claimed, leaving Denny astounded. "You talked an' talked, but it wasn't like, annoying talk, you know? And then you let us try the Swampwater Special for no charge, since I was your buddy, and Lucie really liked it. We then said something about gettin' together for Halloween, and that was that."

Denny took it all in for a moment, as Mason was finished with his explanation. He must've mistaken Mason for Harper while listening in since they were both History nerds. It made him wonder if deep down, he really only saw Harper as a "good buddy" as he called Mason. Were his feelings misguided?

No, it cane't be, Denny reassured himself. I must have thought Mason was a good friend since he liked History. Dunno why, it seems kinda dumb. Then again, I am the king o' doing stupid shit.

"Sorry about that," Denny apologized, the embarrassment seeping in. "I must've made you guys uncomfortable, being a stranger an' all."

"Not really," Mason argued. "It actually made us feel l-less awkward around each other, 'specially the girls. I'm grateful that you showed up, or Lucie might've forgotten all about me today."