Just the Beginning

The night before, Orion had gone out and bought Arden new clothes so she would fit in in Terranova. Arden had not learned about this until she stepped out of the shower this morning. Laid out on her bed was an outfit exactly like something a woman of the Middle Ages would wear. She hung her towel on the back of the door and quickly clothed herself. She struggled to put on her corset, but she eventually figured it out. She pulled on a dark blue tunic dress over everything and stuck her arms through the sleeves. It had been a long time since she wore a dress, but it suited the occasion.

"Arden?" Orion called her name from the living room. "It's almost time to go."

"One moment!" She put on her hose as fast as she could without putting a hole in it, and she stepped into her leather boots. She quickly opened the door and rushed down the hallway into the living room. Orion turned and looked her up and down. A large grin spread across his face.

"You look like you've lived here all your life." Arden gave him a small smile and looked down at her dress as she smoothed it out nervously. Orion was wearing a significantly different get-up than what he was wearing yesterday. Today he had on a blue tunic and a white undershirt with black pants and round-toed leather shoes. The silk of his tunic had an ornate design to it and he looked rather handsome in the color.

"Are you ready to meet Daia?" Orion asks, coming closer and putting a hand on her shoulder. Arden shook her head. What if she said the wrong thing and upset the Sovereign? What if she turned out to be the wrong child of the cold moon? She wasn't sure how Daia was positive it was her, Arden figured there were thousands of kids born on December 4th.

"You'll do amazing, I promise. She's one of the nicest Sovereigns I've ever met." He smiles at her and pulls her in for a small hug. He smells like warm vanilla and fresh bread. Arden still couldn't decide if the smell came from him or his apartment. He pulled away and shouldered a messenger bag that was hanging by the door. Orion beckoned Arden to follow. They exit the apartment. After Orion locks the door, they make their way downstairs where the Lion's Mane is already serving breakfast. They waved a quick goodbye to Atlas, who was talking to a woman with very long white hair. Arden didn't catch a glimpse of her face before she was out the door and onto the streets of Aetheris. 

"Will Daia let me ask questions?" Arden asks, glancing at Orion as they walk.

"Most likely, I don't think she's in any hurry today." Arden nods and they walk in silence for about 5 blocks. As they round the corner, Daia's castle comes into full view. Arden tilts her head back to look at the spires on the towers. The castle was huge, and she had only seen the tip of the spires in a passing glance over the rest of Aetheris when she had walked in with Orion. They were much more majestic up close. The castle was made of the same gray stone as the buildings and homes of Aetheris. They walked up the many steps and were greeted at the door by a pair of armored guards.

"State your business." The guard on the right looked between the two of them. Orion reached into his bag, pulling out the letter, calling upon Arden to see the Sovereign today. He handed the letter to the guard and the guard skimmed over it. His eyes flicker to Arden. She glances between him and the letter.

"Of course," he nods, returning the letter to Orion. The guards move aside and Orion places a hand on Arden's back, leading her forward. He pushes the door open and holds it for her. She shuffles through, looking around. The foyer of the castle was large and ornate, with a huge staircase in the middle. It led up to one big door in the middle and it branched off to two small side doors. Arden had never seen a staircase like this before, but it was quite beautiful in her opinion. Orion let the door close behind them.

"Impressive, huh?" He glances over at her. Arden nods, now studying the pattern on the teal carpet below her. Orion pulls her away from the door and they begin ascending the large staircase. They go straight for the big door in the middle, which is also guarded by two guards.