Fate sets the stage; choices write the destiny.

I truly love how this drama is reminding me that life is not about circumstances that happen to you, but about the choices you make in those circumstances. Fate can be cruel but the choices you make will decide if you're life is going to be promising or miserable.

Xue Fangfei's fate was to endure a tarnished reputation, to trust a cowardly husband, to be buried alive, to witness the fall of her family's honor, and to lose her loved ones. Yet, she chose to rise, to seek revenge, and to reclaim the life she deserved. She chose rebirth.

Wanning's fate cast her as a hostage in Dai, to suffer humiliation, violation, and miscarriages. Upon her return to her kingdom, she chose a path of destruction-manipulating others, wielding people as pawns, succumbing to greed and resentment until she destroyed herself as thoroughly as others had ruined her. She chose annihilation.

Jiang Li's fate was to lose her mother, have an ignorant father, be framed for fratricide, suffer brutality, and be confined in isolated mountains for ten long, cold years. Yet she chose to be kind and save someone despite not being saved herself. She chose kindness despite how brutal life had been to her.

Shen Yurong's fate was to be born in a humble background, having to work hard to climb up the ladder. As a celebrated scholar, he failed to grasp life's true essence and righteousness. He saw his life as lowly, allowed greed to consume him, and placed the blame for his misfortunes on his origins and those around him. He resented his humble birth, yet royalty like Wanning could not escape their dire fates either. To be good only in prosperity is not to be good at all. His virtue was a mere facade, and he chose self-degradation.

Fate may set the stage, but their decisions define their destinies.