Oneshot

Kim Dokja's death always pierces Yoo Joonghyuk's heart with a depth that never seems to lessen. Despite enduring countless regressions, he had convinced himself that he could remain untouched by the passing of those around him.

Gradually, he withdrew from forming meaningful bonds, knowing all too well that everyone he cared about would eventually face mortality before his eyes. Each loss inflicted a raw, unyielding pain that he couldn't bear to endure repeatedly. Thus, he chose solitude as a shield against the relentless cycle of grief and suffering.

Then Kim Dokja appeared, asserting that he understood Yoo Joonghyuk. Yoo Joonghyuk resisted believing it; after all, he was a regressor. No one could fathom the depths of his pain, and he had no one with whom to share his grief.

_"Make me your companion. I can fill in the parts you are missing."_

Yoo Joonghyuk was taken aback. He had long abandoned the idea of having a companion. Witnessing the repeated deaths of those close to him in every life had already inflicted more pain than he thought he could bear.

Despite Yoo Joonghyuk's initial reluctance, Kim Dokja's words stirred something deep within him. The offer of companionship, of someone willing to understand and share the burden of his solitary existence, was both unsettling and strangely compelling.

As he gazed into Kim Dokja's earnest eyes, Yoo Joonghyuk felt a pang of longing he had long suppressed. Could this man truly comprehend the weight of his countless regressions, the relentless cycle of loss and grief? Could he offer solace where there had been only isolation?

Yet, the fear remained. Opening himself up again meant exposing his heart to the risk of unbearable pain once more. The memories of those he had loved and lost flashed vividly in his mind, a painful reminder of the inevitable outcome of forming attachments.

Caught between the familiar safety of solitude and the unfamiliar allure of companionship, Yoo Joonghyuk hesitated, grappling with a decision that could redefine his entire existence.

As Yoo Joonghyuk stood there, waiting in the eerie silence for three agonizing days after casting Kim Dokja to the Ichthyosaur, a tumult of emotions churned within him. Beneath the stoic façade he wore so effortlessly, a flicker of hope burned stubbornly against the backdrop of doubt.

Three days stretched into an eternity as he wrestled with the possibility that Kim Dokja might not emerge alive from the perilous depths. The unsettling sensation gnawed at him, challenging his resolve and stirring unfamiliar anxieties.

Yet, amidst the uncertainty and the hollow ache of isolation, Yoo Joonghyuk found himself grappling with an unexpected pang of remorse. It was a feeling he had buried deep within, shielded behind a wall of detachment forged over countless lifetimes. He told himself it wasn't significant—that he had grown accustomed to solitude, to bearing the weight of his choices alone.

But as the hours dragged on and silence enveloped him like a shroud, a subtle realization began to dawn. Perhaps, in his own guarded way, he had yearned for Kim Dokja's survival. Maybe, buried beneath layers of detachment and self-preservation, there existed a part of him that craved connection—a longing he had long denied himself.

With each passing moment, Yoo Joonghyuk grappled with the aftermath of his actions and the unsettling prospect that he might have irreversibly altered the course of their fragile relationship. The echoes of his decision reverberated in the emptiness around him, forcing him to confront the uncomfortable truth that maybe, just maybe, he wasn't as immune to the impact of others as he had believed.

---

When Yoo Joonghyuk witnessed Kim Dokja shielding him from the vicious attack, his heart skipped a beat. Shock and disbelief coursed through him as he stared at Kim Dokja, bloodied and barely standing. The sight rattled him to the core—why would Kim Dokja risk his life like this?