4.2

Just completed writing this chapter, couldn't wait for it to be published. So here it is.

-----
Sunlight glinted off Ishan's cufflinks as he strolled into Kapoor Architects. A curt nod to the receptionist, a practiced smile – the doors whooshed open.

He found Abhishek's office, a smirk tugging at his lips. He pushed open the door.

Abhishek, his longtime rival, looked up from his desk, confusion morphing into shock. "Ishan?"

"The one and only," Ishan drawled, sauntering in. He settled into a plush chair, the leather groaning.

"What brings you here?" Abhishek's voice was laced with disbelief.

"Rumors," Ishan replied, his voice dripping with mock sincerity. "About the... challenges you're facing."

Abhishek's jaw clenched. "Challenges?"

Ishan chuckled, a humorless sound. "Don't play coy, Abhishek. We both know things haven't been smooth sailing."

Abhishek's face flushed. He opened his mouth to speak, but Ishan cut him off.

"Hear me out," Ishan soothed, his tone patronizing. "I'm here to offer a helping hand."

Abhishek scoffed. "Helping hand? Bullshit. Get out of my office."

Ishan's smile didn't falter. "Limited vision, as always. You need a head architect for Malhotra. A project you desperately need."

He leaned forward, his voice dropping. "And those marital woes with Vaidehi... work troubles bleeding over?"

Abhishek slammed his fist on the desk. "Ishan-"

"Hold on," Ishan interjected. "I'm impressed with your work. What if..."

He paused, letting the anticipation hang.

"- You take the head architect position?  Our expertise, Our clientele... we could turn things around for Kapoor Architects."

He winked. "Maybe even save your marriage. A united front, presenting a successful project..."

Ishan slid a business card across the desk. "You know how to reach me."

He turned on his heel and left, leaving Abhishek staring at the card like a ticking time bomb.

Silence stretched.  Abhishek stared at the card, the weight of Ishan's words pressing down.  A poisoned chalice? A desperate gamble?

He picked up the card, a sliver of desperation warring with anger.  Could he trust Ishan?

He leaned back, the weight of the decision settling on him.  He needed a miracle.  Maybe, just maybe, he could use Ishan to his advantage.

-----

Ishan's grin stretched across his face as he slid into his car. Abhishek's stunned expression was music to his ears. He'd played him perfectly. Now, it was time to celebrate with Mahi.

He reached her building, heart hammering. This time, lilies, her favorite. The door swung open, revealing Mahi in the warm glow. "Hi," he said, offering the flowers.