Prologue - The bard and the lute

Come on, kids! Time to go home!

Amafreyand his children walked through the fields surrounding the town. The world had changed since the disappearance of Zarek and his forces. On this sunny day, the people of Brighthollow were once again celebrating the harvest festival. Dogs barked happily, passers-by chatted and heckled, creating a symphony of diverse voices. Delicious aromas emanated from the many food stalls around the main square.

In the center of the square, people were dancing and singing, whilechildren were running around. A man with curly blond hair stood on a makeshift platform and began to play a few notes on his lute.

Come, come, you who are here! Let me tell you a beautiful tale! he began. Come, come, adults and children! Come and relive this story of yesteryear! I'm talking about a time that no one under twenty could possibly know! I'm talking about a story that you, madame, may know!

As the bard sang, the crowd gathered around him. Leaning against a wall, a halfling dressed in dark clothes clapped her hands in time to the music. As he played his instrument, the elf set off small fireworksover the crowd.

Mommy! Mommy! Can we go and watch the show? asked Lilith, tugging at her mother's sleeve.

Yes, ma'am! Please! added her friend.

Okay, kids, but then we're going home, aren't we? replied Amafrey in a soft, cheerful voice.

Without missing a beat, the children ran off to join the crowd, pulling them along by the arms. The elf, who hadn't stopped singing, looked atAmafrey out of the corner of his eye and smiled.

Come and join me, you curious bunch! Let me blow your minds! Come and follow the quest of these five adventurers, who are bound together by evil. A golden-haired human, whose courage knows no bounds; a sapphire-eyed half-elf, whose determination burns like a meteorite; a silver-fingered halfling, to whom no lock can resist; an angel-voiced elf, whose beauty illuminates every site; and a ruby-skinned tieffeline, whose power is beyond myth.