Chapter 1 - The beginning of a legendary quest

A deluge was falling on the temple ruins. Amafrey advanced slowly, her footsteps echoing on the sodden cobblestones. Every broken pane, every step, every stone of the abandoned temple brought back painful memories. It was here, five years earlier, that her life had been turned upside down overnight. It was here that she had witnessed an army of the undead pouring down on helpless priests and worshippers, begging their god for power and mercy. It was here, in the face of her own powerlessness, that she had finally lost faith.

As she crossed the courtyard, Amafrey spotted the destroyed statute of the god Tyr enthroned before the temple's immense doors. It was the only relic of the cult still standing within these walls. The sight of this once resplendent monument brought back bitter memories. She could see herself at the side of the followers of the god of Justice, trying to fend off the creatures of darkness assailing the temple. Today, she was nothing like that poor, frightened, helpless priestess. She had become a powerful paladin whose every blow was guided by her oath of vengeance.

Lost in her thoughts, a splashing sound snapped her out of her reverie and made her turn around. Behind her, a hooded figure stood in the shadow of a collapsed archway. Though not overly imposing, there was nothing reassuring about it either. Long years of wandering had taught Amafrey to be wary of all strangers, especially when she couldn't see their faces.

Who's there!" she shouted in a firm voice, her hand on the pommel of her sword, ready to defend herself.

The figure stepped forward slowly, and pulled back the hood that coveredhis face, revealing a fair-skinned person of medium height, with white hair tied up in a bun and light blue eyes. Judging by her features, she was a half-elf. She must be in her early twenties and stood before Amafrey, a grave expression on her face. As they watched each other, rain streaming down their faces, the half-elf spoke in a calm voice.

The Golden Valkyrie?

That's one of my nicknames, yes," replied Amafrey, her hand still on her sword.

I've been following your trail for months.

And what are you?

Someone who's after the same thing you are. Revenge on the lich and his army.

Despite her words, Amafrey wasn't convinced of the half elf's intentions. She was watching her insistently, as if she were trying to find out all her secrets with a simple glance. Judging by her attire and equipment, her interlocutor was certainly a ranger. In the event of a confrontation, Amafrey had no doubt that she would have the upperhand, but she hoped it wouldn't come to that.

My name is Liluan Vuan," continued the half elf. As you've probably guessed, I'm a ranger. And that little guy up there is Azriel.

Amafrey looked up to see a Blood Hawk circling above the temple.

He's usually my only teammate, but if I'm going to get revenge on the lich sorcerer, I need you. continued Liluan.

Sorry, I don't travel as a team.'' Amafrey replied, turning around and resuming his walk towards the temple gates. You'd better look for someone else.