We Might as Well Make the Most of It

The gentle breeze blew across the field, swaying my hair at the same time. The sun was high up, stretching across the lush hills of the land. I breathed easy, resting my hands behind my head while I adjusted my boots to relax. The ground beneath me felt soft, like a cushion for my back. I laid next to a short oak tree, yet it's branches and leaves reached far from the trunk, forming a shield against the sun. Every so often I could hear faint voices pass by, always the same tone and volume. That pattern was disturbed by the sound of crunching grass approaching me. The figure stopped, adding its own shadow to the tree's.

"You know, everyone else is working hard to clear this floor. And where do I find you?" She huffed, crossing her arms and pouting while looking at me. "Your laying down in the middle of a field, doing whatever-"

"Bet you didn't know that the weather today is the best we'll get all year," I responded, slightly irritated. I could hear her step back, about to walk away.

"You should try it some time, the breeze feels great,"

"Unlike you, I don't want to waste another day here. A day gained here is a day lost in the real world."

"But we're here, so might as well make the most of it."

Asuna turned back around, then gazed at the field, noticing the flowing blades of grass. I could again hear the crunches of grass growing near.

"Fine," she said, lying down a few feet away from me.

I got up, noticing the sky had darkened, revealing an orange and pink view. I stretched my arms and yawned, getting up from the ground. Just as I was about to leave, I noticed a person on the ground, asleep. I sighed to myself as I looked around the area.

Seriously? You're just going to fall asleep like that?

I took a seat next to the road, not too far from the tree. I looked back at her sleeping body, realizing that I should stay just in case.

A few hours had past when I heard movement behind me. Instinctevely, I reached for my sword, only to be met with a groggy face. She stretched and yawned, then widened her eyes at me. Her face instantly flushed red as she turned around.

"You get one meal," she faintly said.

"What?" I shyly responded with.

"All you can eat. On me," She declared in an angry tone.

"Uh, okay."

The night grew older as the two of us sat awkwardly at a table. The place had dozens of people eyeing her, as most people knew who she was.

"Isn't that the Flash?"

"Why is she with that creepy dude in the black?"

"Yeah he gives off creepy vibes."

I annoyingly drank from the cup of coffee, hearing what other people had to say about the situation. Asuna was about to say something, but she stopped herself and smiled. She faced the table, avoiding eye contact, which was fine by me.

"I guess I should thank you for that," she said calmly. Almost taken back by her sudden mood shift, I moved the cup from my mouth.

"Huh, yea it's no problem." I took another drink while Asuna began to talk again. She wrapped both her hands around the small cup on the table.

"Have you ever thought about the marriage system? Like in SAO of course."

I almost choked on my coffee hearing that. I quickly swallowed and put my cup down.

"I've never really considered it other than it's practical uses," I nervously said.

"Well I think-" everything went black.

"Kirito! Kirito!"