The News...

My parents had been out of town for a few days on a business trip to Washington DC. I had been enjoying my time alone. I didn't throw any parties while they were gone because I'm not the kind of person who likes drama.

As I start to get out of bed, I look at my phone and see that it's 10:09. "Oh no, I have to get up," I thought to myself. I usually wake up at 6:00 AM sharp. I noticed that I have 5 missed calls from my parents. "Uh oh," I said aloud. I call them back, but their calls go straight to voicemail. I see that their calls were from 8 hours ago, something must have been wrong.

As I heard a knock on the door, I quickly chose an oversized tee shirt and Hello Kitty pajama pants from my drawer. After throwing my hair into a messy bun, I shouted, "Be right there!" Rushing through the hall, I opened the door to find my childhood friend standing at my doorstep. Tears welled up in my eyes as memories of our time in New York flooded back.

"Peter?" I said softly. Peter had been my best friend throughout elementary and middle school. When my parents found jobs in French Creek West Virginia, we had to move and I had promised to call him every day. Unfortunately, my mother believed that boys and girls couldn't be friends at our age.

"Hi, Prim," Peter smiled at me. I couldn't believe it – I hadn't seen him in two years. I leaped towards Peter and hugged him as hard as I possibly could. Peter stumbled backward and chuckled lightly.

"Still as strong as I remember," Peter stated.

"I have missed you so much."

"Why do you think I came? It's because I missed you." No matter how much Peter and I joked, he always made me feel good.

"Is that my shirt?" Peter asked. It turned out that the shirt I had put on earlier was Peter's old shirt. 

"Maybe. Now come inside, dummy," I replied. Peter headed straight to the fridge.

"Ugh, no sushi?" he groaned.

"Dude, you haven't even been here for ten minutes and you're already complaining about food?" I said, smiling. I had meant to go to the store today but ended up oversleeping.

"Well. I was in the car for at least eight hours," Peter explained.

"Alright, let me get dressed, and then we can go get you some sushi. How does that sound?"

"Fine, I guess so," Peter whined, making me laugh. I hand Peter some salt and vinegar potato chips.

"Eat these till I get done dressing."  I chuckled. As I walk back to my bedroom, Peter and I hear a knock on my door.

"I'll get it," Peter said.

"Thanks, Peter." I go ahead and put on a normal black tank top with bell-bottom jeans. I sit on my bed to put on pink and white striped ankle socks.

"Hey Prim, I am sorry, but can you come here?" Peter asked. Maybe it was that teapot I had ordered; maybe they needed my signature. I walk through the hallway with all the family pictures from when I was a baby. As I approach the door, I'm shocked to find a young female police officer.

"Hello, Ma'am. Are you Primrose Stark?" the young cop asks me while looking concerned.

"Yes, Ma'am, but I'm not quite sure what I did," I say politely, not wanting to get in any more trouble. I haven't done anything except clean the house and get groceries. Maybe it had something to do with my parents.

"Of course not! I assure you that you are not in any kind of trouble. Is it okay if I came inside?" the cop said. This had to be bad. I could feel my gut trying to tell me that my life was about to change.

"Yes, would you like some coffee or tea?" I asked, hoping that everything would be okay.

"No thanks, hon. Thanks for offering though," she said, sounding polite.

"Oh well then, come on in," I smiled as the young cop walked past me to sit on the sofa.

"So, is this your boyfriend?" the cop said, looking at Peter. I mean, I wish, but I can't let Peter know that.

"Ew, no, of course not! She is my best friend!" Peter said. I smile and nod.

"Peter is visiting from New York, where I used to live. So, what would you like to speak to me about?" I say, trying not to sound worried.

The cop turns to me and says,

"Primrose, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it appears that your dad was involved in a hit-and-run in Washington D.C.," Panic started to set in. I loved my dad; he would have done anything for me.

"And what about my mom?" I asked.

"She committed suicide at 2:41 AM last night, grieving your father's death. I always hated my mother. She was rude and completely unmannered, and she never did anything a mother should do. She never cooked dinner, never offered to walk the dogs when I was sick, and whenever she did something that bothered me, she would just say that I was acting babyish. This news, however, completely shocked me. I was mad at how she could be so selfish. She should have realized that a 15-year-old girl needed a parent. I suddenly remembered that she had called me at 2 AM last night. I wonder if she left any important messages-

"I know this must be difficult for you, losing both your parents. However, you are only 15. Your parents' will, states that you will live with your father's brother, Tony, who lives in Manhattan, New York."

"I am sorry, who?" Of course, I knew who Tony Stark was, but I had no idea I was related to someone so famous. And my dad never told me that he had a brother. 

"You will meet him in a few days. I am truly sorry about all this. We have group therapy if you need any," she said. I feel tears form in my eyes.

"My parents died when I was little. I had to move in with my aunt and uncle," Peter said sadly.

"I'm sorry, Peter. Well, Primrose, it sounds like you have a good friend here. Alright, hon, I must go now. I'm so sorry for your loss," the cop said. 

"O-ok, have a nice day," Peter said. He got up, opened the front door, and as she walked out, he shut the door and walked back to the sofa. Peter wrapped his arms around me. I had my legs curled up to my chest in the fetal position. Crying, I said,

"I can't believe they died. My dad was always there for me." I cried into Peter's chest while one of his hands was on my back, and the other was entangled in my hair. I am so grateful for Peter.

"Hey, at least you're going to be rich, right?" Peter said. But as I think of how I never knew my dad had a brother, I start crying harder.

"Come on, let's grab something to eat. My treat. What are you in the mood for?" Peter suggested.

"Can we go for Mexican?" I inquired, already anticipating Peter's response.

"Of course," Peter had always made me feel good. Even when he was being serious or sweet, he always made me feel better. Peter Parker and Ned Leeds were my childhood best friends until my parents got a new job and we all moved to French Creek, West Virginia. I didn't like the countryside, especially when no one ever knew where French Creek was. I guess I will be back in New York though. I got up off the sofa with tears in my eyes.