Chapter One

We rise, legs protesting, and trudge forward. Dust crunches under each step, a constant reminder of the world crumbling around us. The weight of our situation presses down, but I shove it aside, focusing on the path ahead.

"We need to cross the river," Abeni says, her voice tight. "It leads to the Fringe societies, but the current's strong."

Surprise jolts me. "How do you know?"

She gestures to the churning water. "The stream is faster in the middle, the river is shallow" A flicker of something else crosses her face, a guarded expression I can't decipher.

"No," I press, "How do you know about the Fringe societies? I thought you were Natural?"

Abeni sighs, a heavy sound. "Yes, I am...... was," she corrects, a hint of bitterness in her voice. "Coming-of-age traditions in Scopus involve studying maps, you see."

"You are a Scorpus?" My mind scrambles. This revelation doesn't mesh with the Abeni I thought I knew.

"Look," she snaps, her facade cracking, "can we discuss this later? Now's not the time."

I nod curtly, stifling further questions. The churning river awaits, a dangerous obstacle on our perilous journey. We reach the bank, the current a hungry beast. Abeni was right - it looks treacherous. Yet, fueled by adrenaline and a desperate hope, we manage a swift crossing, collapsing on the far shore with ragged breaths.

Dawn's pale fingers stretch across the sky, pushing back the velvet cloak of night. I blink, the world shimmering for a moment before solidifying into focus. Sunlight catches the dew-kissed tips of emerald grass blades, glinting like a million tiny emeralds scattered across the earth.

Abeni kneels beside me, her dark eyes mirroring the sunrise in their depths. She inhales deeply. "Do you smell that?" she asks, her voice a soft ripple in the stillness.

"Smell what?" I ask, following her lead and taking a deep breath.

"I don't know," she responds, a contemplative frown creasing her brow. "It smells... like earth. But different."

"No VR can replicate this," I murmur, a sense of wonder washing over me. I reach out, fingertips brushing the cool, damp grass. It feels rough against my skin, a stark contrast to the smooth simulations I'm used to. But the realness of it sends a jolt of exhilaration through me.

The sky above is a masterpiece in progress, a mesmerizing blend of soft apricot bleeding into fiery orange, then melting into a vibrant turquoise that stretches towards the horizon like an open invitation. Every breath fills me with the scent of the earth - a spicy, green fragrance laced with the sweetness of wildflowers unknown to me except in data streams.

Abeni laughs, a joyous sound that echoes in the vastness. She stands, inhaling deeply, then her smile falters. "They are all dead..." she sighs, her voice heavy with grief.

"We don't know that," I counter, frustration bubbling within me at the intrusion into this peaceful moment. "We took a hidden route, others could have done the same. Maybe they're still alive."

She takes a shaky breath, and I scoot closer, mirroring her action. "Look," I begin softly, breaking the silence, "we're here now. Let's embrace this moment, appreciate its beauty for what it is." I gesture towards the horizon. "This is beyond any pixel count VR can create."

"Yes," she whispers.

We continue our walk, the scent of the earth, spicy and green, hangs heavy in the air, laced with the delicate sweetness of alien wildflowers. Suddenly, a strangled yelp pierces the tranquility of dawn. I whirl around to find Abeni sprawled on the ground, a tangled mess of limbs amidst the emerald blades.