✧A Beautiful Bird Slayer✧

Matthias’s relatives who were expected to spend the summer in Arvis paid him a visit. It was a social gathering meant to discuss insurance issues for the trade ship sailing next month.

Matthias sat in the back of the carriage, staring out of the window. His butler, Hessen, briefed him about the pending problems of his family. He responded to Hessen’s words with just quick nods or brief replies.

The business was run by the directors, and although Matthias’ mother and grandmother were in charge of the family affairs, it was up to him as the Duke of Herhardt to make the final decision. Matthias had been playing that role since he was a child of twelve.
Hessen’s report had ended by the time Matthias arrived on the Platanus road leading to the Herhardt estate.

Matthias was seated with his head tilted at an angle, gazing at the familiar scenery. Both sides of the roadway were lined with tall trees that were arched as if they were holding hands. The path was embroidered with an exquisite pattern designed by the shattered sunlight leaping through the fluttering leaves.
A white mansion with a blue-coloured rooftop revealed itself after passing through the road into the estate. Outside the front entrance, the mother and grandmother were waiting for their family patriarch. The door to the wagon opened as Matthias straightened the position of his already linear tie.

“Welcome home, Matthias.”

Norma Catharina von Herhardt, Dowager Duchess of Arvis, smiled brightly when she welcomed her grandson.
Matthias bowed his head and accepted a kiss from his grandmother.

He was approached with a much more straightforward attitude by Elysee von Herhardt, his mother, who stood behind them.
“You’ve grown taller.” She chuckled as she embraced him warmly. Her dark black hair gleamed in the early summer light, much like her son’s.

Matthias responded to his mother with the same smile. He shared similar greetings with the other servants in line. His polished manner and proper courtesy towards the servants showed that he was the perfect owner of this family,—He was Duke Herhardt.
Matthias took the lead and crosse
d the lobby area, standing between his two beloved women. He suddenly lifted his head and stared up at the huge chandelier that was lit up in the middle of the day before climbing the stairs.
Matthias looked at the Herhardt family’s crest that was imprinted on the ceiling just below the chandelier.

He was a Herhardt.

Herhardt, a euphemism for intellect, grace, and unflappable character. Matthias had never had any complaints or concerns regarding his own life. He was well aware of the kind of life he would have to live and accepted it. Handling his own life was as easy as breathing for him.
Matthias ascended the stairwell with long strides with his eyes fixed on the ground. The servants were finally able to breathe properly after the owner of the household entered the mansion safely.

The residents of Arvis had been preparing for days to meet Duke Herhardt in person. On his arrival, everything and everyone, including the people who lived in his estate, had to be flawless. The servants needed to present themselves in the best light possible.
Leyla Lewellin, the Arvis’ uninvited guest, wasn’t any different.

***

“Did the duke already arrive?”

Standing at the edge of the group of servants, Leyla murmured something in a disappointed tone. The creamy-white colour dress Bill had purchased for her flapped in sync with her movements.

“You’ll see Duke Herhardt in the woods. But I have to ask for permission first.” Bill Remmer spoke bluntly and began walking towards the woods. Leyla followed him at the back with zeal.

“Does the duke enjoy the woods as much as I do?”

“Well, yeah sure. Hunting is one of his favorite activities.”