Mum

Eileen was busy plumping up cushions that didn't need plumping, whilst craning her neck to look out of the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of the car as it turned into the avenue.

She was just reaching up to check for dust on the mirror frame, when the doorbell rang.  After a flurry of kisses and exclamations of how well the other looked, they settled down on the sofa with mugs of tea and slices of homemade sponge cake.
"So Eileen, how is everyone"
Eileen beamed as she regaled her sister with the details of her son's wedding the week before.
"It was such a lovely day Margot, such a shame you couldn't be here, but you're here now and I'm so happy to see you"
"How is Jodi, is she still working at the nursery?"
Eileen's face clouded as she thought of her daughter.
"Yes, yes, she is, but she's now working in the garden with the handyman"
"Well that seems safer than working with the wee bairns" Margot raised an eyebrow and asked "How did she get the qualifications? You know, after the accident, and all that followed, I'm surprised she passed the exams"
"She didn't." Eileen sighed
"What!? But how did she get them then?"
"I think HE paid someone, to take them or fake them, I don't know"
"Then to take her on, knowing how damaged she was after the accident? That can't be just because he felt sorry for her! What's in it for him?"

"Oh here's Jodi now, I'll tell you more later tonight, when she's asleep"
Jodi came into the room and stopped with a puzzled look on her face.
"Mum?"
Eileen got up and put her hand on Jodi's arm, "Remember I told you my sister was coming to see us, all the way from South Africa?"
"Oh, totes yah, why does she look like you though?"
"She's my twin sister, your aunty Margot, remember?"
Jodi looked blankly at Margot and abruptly left the room, they could hear her banging around the kitchen looking for snacks.
Margot's eyes filled with tears.
"Oh God love her, Eileen to think how bright she was"
The sisters held hands and sipped their tea as they thought of Jodi, as she was...before.

"