Part I- 1

Adeline

ᴀɢᴇ 16

I wasn't a very good listener. Or rule follower.

As a matter of fact, I wasn't good at many things like cooking, math, flirting, guessing my right and my left, but mainly, I wasn't good at following rules. I mean, why should I? Everyone broke them.

Every human being, no matter how old or young, broke a rule, unknowingly or not, small or big. So what did it matter if I ran the red light? Most of the driving population did it and for no reason at all, but I did.

I had a reason to run that red light.

Looking around the intersection, through the windshield, the rain fell quicker, correction, not quicker but heavier. Rain fell hard as if the clouds themselves were mourning, making it almost impossible to see across the street, especially at this hour.

It was late. Not that late but with the dark clouds, one would think it was midnight but it wasn't. It was just dark, with no one around, not a single soul present to see or judge my rebellious act.

There was no one.

Barefoot on the petal, I didn't think twice before launching forward, my fingers tapping against the steering wheel as if I could make it go faster. As if I could go faster, to stop time or run through it, to get- red and blue lights flashed in the dark sky, the loud shrill making me sit up straighter in the car.

Glancing at the side mirror, I cursed, seeing the distinctive black and white police car tailing me.

It was laughable. To have thought there was no one in the streets at this time, in this rain. I was stupid. So stupid, even more as I debated not stopping for the officer that flashed his lights at me.

I couldn't. Not when I needed to be there minutes ago, not when I didn't even know if I'd get there in time. If- I pulled over because if I didn't, I wouldn't get there at all and I needed to be there, in one piece.

Taking a few deep breaths, I pushed away the tears that just kept falling, I pushed away the anxiety that was crawling up my arms, my heart pumping too quickly as I did yet another thing I wasn't good at, waiting.

I waited for the cop to open his door, to pull out his umbrella, waited for him to step out of the car, for his slow walk towards me, for him to knock on my glass and tell me all my faults.

I waited while the sky mourned.

"Ma'am." The officer said as he stood by my door, the crack of the window allowing the faint smell of rain to fill the car. "Miss," he corrected himself as he squinted down at me, blue eyes raking over me. Taking in the white shirt that clung to my body, revealing the black bikini top I wore underneath.

There was no leering, no predatory gaze that would have had me reaching for my pepper spray. There was nothing in the old man's gaze but that assessing look I knew far too well, looking at me as what I could be, a criminal.

Which maybe I was but I wouldn't admit to anything.

My parents had taught me better.

I may not be a very good listener but I knew there was only so much my parents could do for me.

Leaning down, the rain tapped harder. "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Did anyone ever know anything? I mean, there hadn't been rain in the forecast, it wasn't supposed to rain yet it did.

"No," I said.

Admit to nothing until there's no way to go and even then, deny it all.

He shifted, looking down at me with some sort of disappointment. "Miss, you sped through a red light in front of the police station." I glanced at the rearview mirror, blinking the tears away, cursing at myself as I did because he was, in fact, right.