chapter 1

Aiko shuddered as a wave of cold washed over her frail body, and she felt the shadow of thick rainclouds looming over her. As she stepped onto the soft grass and off the hard school pathway, she jumped as a gentle hand brushed her shoulder, making her stand upright in a jolt.
"Gosh, your backpack looks heavy, Aiko." Aiko instantly recognized her best friend's gentle, shrill voice and figure walking beside her.
"Ines! You scared me!" She exclaimed, realizing how much weight her worn down backpack had on her back.
"Sorry!" Ines sighed thoughtfully. " But I was wondering if you wanted to come over!" Aiko paused, then nodded, smiling. "Okay! Sounds good!" 
They went on the bus together, walked together, but with the joy they shared, uneasiness tore a hole in the back of her mind. She had a bad feeling, that something bad was going to happen.  Snapping out of her thoughts and appearing at Ines' front door, she looked away and to the garden. She swallowed hard as her gaze fell upon a rotten clover.
My luck is running out.. she thought to herself, swallowing the knot in her throat. Before she could realize it, She was sitting in Ines' room.
"Let me do your makeup! It will be fun, and you look as pale as a sheet." Aiko nodded, and Ines jumped in joy. Trying to navigate Ines' makeup bag, she dabbed basic makup all over her face, and with the shakiest hand, she held up a small, vanity mirror. Ines looked at herself, seeming to obsess over her look. After a few seconds, Aiko waited for her to say something and she could put the mirror down. But she kept lolling over her looks, and her heart lurched and her face filled with terror as the mirror slipped from her sweaty palm and fell to the wooden floor. It fell with a swift but deafening shatter. Aiko clapped her hands over her mouth and froze. Ines looked into her eyes, as if she saw a ghost. After a few seconds, Ines looked away and just so aiko could hear, she murmured under her breath,
"I think it's best you leave.."  Aiko swiftly nodded and bolted out of the room. Fortunately, her house was was only a few blocks away. Without stopping, she ran and ran all the way to her home. She would always arrive home earlier than her parents, as they worked in busy jobs, but today, she took that for granted. Her feet pounded up the stairs and she slammed the bedroom door behind her, and practically flung into her bed. She never realized how much she ran until her legs went numb and she panted like a dog. A few seconds later, her face was stained with tears. She laid there, thinking. She disappointed Ines, but she remembered her backpack, left at Ines' house. It seemed nature shared her thoughts, because she heard small slaps of rain, then heavy hammers of the cloud's teardrops on her window. Aiko didn't quite know how long she lay there, but she ended up falling asleep, under her thick, dark blanket.