Sundown

Jacob's words stung me. I knew we were friends and we had been for a long time, but I wanted him to see me as more than a friend. As I watched him walk away, a sense of determination welled up within me. I couldn't let this summer end without at least trying to show him how I felt. I needed to find a way to make him see me differently, to realize that the person who truly cared for him had been by his side all along. The campfire's glow faded into the night as I made a silent vow to myself: I wouldn't let fear hold me back any longer.

Before we knew it, the kids were on the bus ride home for the summer. We were all waving goodbye. "Hacketteers Forever!" "Bye kids!" "We'll miss you!"
When the bus had disappeared into the woods, we began to work on packing up the camp. It was a little bittersweet to see the kids go, but it was a fun summer.

"Alright, let's get to packing up," Jake told everyone.

I nodded, trying to focus on the task at hand. As we started gathering supplies and dismantling tents, I kept an eye on Jacob. Every so often, our eyes would meet, and I wondered if he could sense the change in me, the determination that had replaced my uncertainty. The end of camp was always a mix of emotions, but this year, it felt different. This was my chance to create a lasting memory, to take a step toward something more.

As the sun began to set, casting long shadows across the clearing, I found myself walking over to Jacob. "Hey, Jake," I started, trying to keep my voice steady. "There's something I need to tell you before we leave." "What's up, Josie?" He looked up from picking up the remaining bags.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped closer. "Jake, this summer has been amazing, but there's something I've been wanting to say for a while now." My heart pounded in my chest as I continued, "I care about you a lot, more than just as a friend. I don't want to leave here without you knowing how I feel."

Jacob's eyes widened slightly, and he stood up, dropping the bags to the ground. For a moment, there was only the sound of the rustling leaves and the distant call of a bird. "Josie, I..." he started, his voice trailing off as he searched for the right words. "You don't have to say anything, I just needed you to know," I strode back in the main cabin to get away from the possible sting of rejection.

Inside the cabin, I leaned my head against the wall, trying to steady my breathing. The weight of my confession hung in the air, and I felt a mix of relief and anxiety.
"You okay, Josie?" Dylan was laying down on the leather couch,
I turned to see Dylan watching me with a concerned look. "Yeah, just... a lot on my mind," I replied, managing a small smile.

Dylan sat up, his curiosity evident. "You and Jake seemed to be having a serious conversation back there. Everything alright?"

I hesitated, then decided to confide in him. "I told Jake how I feel about him. That I like him more than just a friend."

Dylan's eyes widened in surprise, then softened with understanding. "Wow, that's a big step. How did he take it?"

"Better than I expected," I admitted. "He didn't push me away, and he seemed to be thinking about it. I guess we'll see what happens."

"What did he say?" Dylan stood up from the couch with intrigue. "He didn't say anything. I told him he didn't have to say anything, all I wanted was for him to know. He still seems hung up on Emma."

Dylan frowned, then sighed. "Yeah, Emma has a way of complicating things," he said sympathetically. "But you did the right thing by telling him. It's better to be honest about your feelings."

I nodded, appreciating Dylan's support. "Thanks, Dylan. I just hope things don't get awkward between us. I really value our friendship."

"Trust me, Jake's a good guy. He'll handle it with care," Dylan reassured me. "And who knows, maybe he'll come around. Sometimes people just need time to see what's right in front of them."

His words gave me a bit of hope. "Yeah, maybe," I said, smiling faintly. "Thanks for listening, Dylan."

"Anytime, Josie," he replied with a warm smile. "Now, let's finish packing up this place so we can get out of here and enjoy the rest of our summer." "Right behind you," I gave my best friend a grateful hug.
Dylan hugged me back tightly, and I felt a surge of gratitude for having him in my life. As we pulled away, we got to work packing up the remaining supplies and cleaning the cabin.

Chris Hackett arrived to oversee how things were going before we officially closed the camp for the season. He seemed oddly desperate to get us out of dodge.
"Alright everyone," the camp director called out, clapping his hands to get our attention. "The sooner we get out of here, the sooner hunting season can start, because that's when things get dangerous. We don't want anyone to get caught in the crossfire."
His words sent a ripple of unease. None of us had ever seen Mr. Hackett act like this before; he was a little strange, but this time was different. He was almost paranoid.
He had our phones to give back to us, but Ryan and I never turned ours in. We made sure Mr. Hackett didn't know. I would listen to podcasts to help calm my anxiety during the nights of sleeplessness; which was happening a lot lately. In the middle of the night I would hear my name being whispered by a misty voice that sounded like an old woman. I would sit up in a cold sweat because I would be so freaked out. I thought I was going crazy.

Jocelyn... look what they did to us... my vision was plagued by fiery flames and a grieving mother screaming in agony at the loss of her son.

It had been a recurring nightmare.

I was brought back to the present when Jake was attempting to start the van that was supposed to take us back home. It didn't seem to be working.
Aww shit...
"Mr. H, the car won't start," Jacob informed him a little too casually. "The motor is just kaput."Mr. Hackett's face paled, his eyes darted around the clearing nervously. "This can't be happening now," he murmured under his breath.
"Hey, maybe you're doing it wrong," Ryan suggested, stepping closer to inspect the engine. ""Let me have a look. " "You're getting in the way!" Jake protested. "Shut up!" "Enough, both of you!" Mr. Hackett yelled. We all froze at his outburst. The tension was thick in the air.
"We checked everything, it should be working," Kaitlyn said, attempting to diffuse the tension. "Yeah, well could have and should have doesn't mean it is, does it!" "Damn it," Mr. Hackett cursed under his breath, pacing back and forth. He angrily opened the door to the van and desperately tried to get the vehicle to start. The engine cranked, sputtered, and refused to turn over.
"Okay... okay," the camp director inhaled and exhaled deeply, trying to calm down. "We need a plan B." "Yeah— uh— Look, it's not a big deal, okay, we'll just spend one more night here," Jacob suggested. "No-NO. Just stop. Let me think for a second. " Mr. Hackett rubbed his temples, trying to piece together a new plan. The camp director lifted the hood of the van, screamed in disbelief, and slammed it shut. Usually Mr. Hackett was easygoing and composed, but the gravity of the situation had clearly shaken him. He pulled Ryan aside and handed him the set of keys that went with the malfunctioning van, and he took the other van and drove away, leaving a chilling warning, "Stay inside, whatever you do. Don't let anyone in or out." Amidst the growing fear and confusion, silence fell over the group. Kaitlyn shifted nervously, glancing around the deserted campground. "What do we do now? " asked Emma, her voice barely a whisper. Dylan got a mischievous smile on his face, "We hella party!"