TWENTY

2 weeks later
Symere's birthday

The sun tried to peek through the heavy morning clouds, casting a muted light over the town of Dallas

The sun tried to peek through the heavy morning clouds, casting a muted light over the town of Dallas. It was Symere's 22nd birthday, but the festive spirit the town usually embraced felt miles away from her heart.

"Baybeh." Symere heard as Artist placed kisses on her face.

Symere opened her eyes to find Artist hovering over her smiling. He placed a kiss on her forehead, before telling her to go freshen up.

Once she was situated, she climbed back in bed as she waited for Artist.

Her phone vibrated with cheerful notifications, well-wishes from friends and relatives, but she couldn't bring herself to respond. Her mind was elsewhere, heartbreakingly focused on the news that had turned her world upside down for the past two weeks. While the doctors insisted he was stable, Symere couldn't shake the knot of anxiety tightening in her chest.

"Happy birthday, my love!" Artist's warm voice broke through her thoughts as he entered her room unannounced. The smell of pancakes wafted in from the kitchen, but it felt too cheerful for Symere's mood.

"Thank you, but can we just skip it this year?" she said, her tone distant. "I'm just not in the mood to celebrate."

Artist paused, a frown shadowing his face. He had planned something special for Symere, something to lift her spirits, but now it seemed cruel to push her.

"Symere," he started carefully, "I know things are tough right now, but your birthday... maybe we could do something small? Just us?"

"Honestly, Artist, I just want to be alone for today." Her voice carried the weight of helplessness, and she quickly shifted her gaze to her phone, scrolling through messages she couldn't bear to read.

Artist bit his lip, trying to think of a way to cheer her up. In the back of his mind, thoughts of the surreptitious preparations he and her best friend, India, had organized danced around. It was supposed to be a surprise, an escape from the heaviness of life.

He took a deep breath, summoning all his love and understanding. "Aight, but let's at least eat something. I made your favorite."

Symere nodded, her heart softening just a little at his effort. They walked to the kitchen, and she inhaled deeply, the scent tugging at her memory, family breakfasts, laughter shared in sunlight. It made her smile, just for a second.

After breakfast, Artist suggested a walk to clear their heads. She reluctantly agreed, appreciating his gentle way of pushing her to be outside, to breathe in fresh air rather than being consumed by the gloom. They wandered through desoto streets, their small town draped in the early light of spring, budding flowers lining the sidewalks, vibrant against the still-gray clouds.