chapter thirty-five.

ELODIE THROWS HER head back laughing, rays of afternoon sun catching the curls of her hair and turning them golden.

Reaper picks her up by the waist with one arm as though she weighs nothing, carrying her across the park upside down. She is giggling and rosy-cheeked when he sets her back down on her feet.

"Why don't you run and grab a drink of water?" I suggest. She nods enthusiastically and holds her arms out like she's an airplane as she races across to the water bubbler.

Reaper sits down next to me on the park bench, his arm stretching out behind my shoulders as we watch her.

I pick apart a thread from my fraying jeans. "I spoke to Gabi the other day."

The weight of his gaze pins me down. "You went to the club?"

The accusatory note in his voice stings a little. "No, of course not." Elodie climbs onto the swings and pushes herself back and forth. "We met for coffee. She asked me to go."

"Why?"

Hesitation keeps me from answering right away. "I don't know, exactly. She was...vague."

My eyes stay pinned to my sister—I won't dare look away—but I can feel his frown.

"She hasn't been at the club much lately. She's not dancing anymore," he says.

"Do you know why? There was definitely something up with her, but she's not an easy person to read."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see him run a ragged hand down his face.

"I don't know," he admits. "She's been glued to Viktor's side; he's practically become her shadow. I think Nathaniel asked him to watch her."

Interesting. "She was worried about Nathaniel's judgment. Maybe it has something to do with assigning Viktor to protect her."

"Or the reason she needs protection at all."

I watch my sister leap off the swings and run over to the monkey bars.

"What else did Gabi say?" he asks.

I suppose I can't avoid the truth forever, can I? "She said Nathaniel has been...not himself, lately." Finally, I sneak a glance at Reaper, taking in his expression, trying to read his reaction to that statement.

His jaw tightens, his nose flaring slightly. Other than that, he controls his features well.

"Have you noticed something similar?" I hedge.

"He's an ass," Reaper bites out. "As he's always been."

Not daring to push further, I call out to Elodie that it's time to head home. It'll be dark soon, the sun sinking toward the horizon in a haze of orange and pink.

"I should go. I need to get to the club," Reaper mutters, standing. I follow suit, glancing over to see Elodie racing toward us.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" The hope in my voice is undisguised and it warms his features fractionally.

He nods. "I'll come by in the afternoon."

That night, after Elodie is tucked into bed and snoring soundly, I shower and wash my hair. Back in my bedroom, I dig through my wardrobe, looking for something comfortable to wear.

My hand snags around Nathaniel's white dress shirt—the one I wore home from his house.

Slowly, I lift it to my nose, inhaling his scent that lingers like smoke.

Vivid memories of him holding me as he fucked me, whispering in my ear, flash through me, intense and gripping. The tremor that runs down my spine is followed closely by a rush of desire.