chapter 28: Mama Alyza's birthday

Fides stepped into her room, feeling the weight of the day's adventures slowly lift off her shoulders. She turned on the shower, letting the warm water cascade over her, washing away the fatigue. After a few moments, she sank into the bath, the soothing heat of the water enveloping her. She closed her eyes, allowing herself to fully relax and unwind.

After her bath, Fides wrapped herself in a soft, fluffy towel and stepped out onto the warm tiles. She padded over to the vanity, where she applied her favorite lavender-scented lotion, the calming fragrance filling the room. With a contented sigh, she slipped into her most comfortable pajamas.

Before settling down with a book, Fides walked over to the window. She gently pulled back the curtain and peered outside. Down in the garden, the soft glow of string lights illuminated the scene of her Mama Alyza's birthday party. She could see her family and friends mingling, their laughter and chatter reaching her ears even from her cozy vantage point. Alyza, radiant in a vibrant dress, was the center of attention, her smile bright and infectious.

Among the guests, Andrei stood with a drink in his hand, his eyes scanning the crowd. He was secretly looking for Fides, hoping to talk to her. He had been excited to see her, but as he looked around, he realized she wasn't among the partygoers. Disappointment washed over him as he continued to search in vain. He sighed, feeling a pang of longing and wondering where she could be.

Unaware of Andrei's search, Fides watched the scene below for a few moments longer, her heart swelling with affection for her family. The sight of her mother surrounded by loved ones brought a tender smile to her face. She felt a pang of longing to join them, but also a sense of contentment knowing that Alyza was having a wonderful evening.

Returning to the small seating area by the window, Fides selected a well-worn novel from the stack of her favorite books and curled up in the plush armchair. The soft lamplight cast a warm glow around her as she read, the world outside seeming to fade away, leaving her in a bubble of tranquility.

After a while, she set the book aside and picked up her journal. She spent some time jotting down her thoughts and reflections on the day's experiences, feeling a sense of clarity and peace with each word she wrote. The act of writing was therapeutic, helping her to process and appreciate the moments that had made the day special.

Feeling a pleasant drowsiness settle over her, Fides decided it was time to turn in for the night. She slipped under the covers of her bed, the crisp, cool sheets a welcome contrast to the warmth of the bath. As she lay there, she reflected on the simple pleasures of the evening and felt a deep sense of contentment.

With a smile on her lips, Fides drifted off to sleep, knowing that tomorrow would bring new adventures and opportunities to find joy in the little moments.

As the garden filled with guests celebrating Mama Alyza's birthday, Andrei stood slightly apart from the lively crowd, a drink in hand. The soft glow of string lights cast a warm ambiance over the gathering, highlighting Alyza's radiant smile as she engaged with friends and family. Andrei's eyes scanned the crowd, searching for a familiar face. He was eager to find Fides, hoping for a chance to talk to her.

The festive atmosphere buzzed around him, but Andrei couldn't shake the feeling of anticipation. He had looked forward to seeing Fides all evening, imagining their conversation and the moments they might share. As he moved through the clusters of guests, his gaze darted from one face to another, but Fides was nowhere to be seen.

He approached a group of friends, exchanging polite greetings while subtly inquiring about Fides's whereabouts. "Have you seen Fides?" he asked, trying to sound casual.