TWO

"Time of death, 12:00 am." That's the first words I heard when I gain myself. I look at her. Is it real? Are you? Is she? Is she dead? She is dead. She died. What happened?

I tried to remember, connecting every seconds, I should feel the headache as common people do when they try to recall something that it's like you're having a dementia. But I feel nothing. I'm completely numb. But somewhere inside me says that she's dead. I knew that it pinched the little of feelings I have. I could still see her smile, her warmth; I can still see her through the light. The light. I remember. A bright light took its speed. The impact. She shoved me to the other side, so I'll be kept away from that pain. From death. And now look at how her decisions took her. She's dead and I live. She saved me. She let herself be in danger to save me. A few moments after, her family came like a hungry tiger to the prey but a tiger that's not going to harm the prey, but to grieve at her departure. Crying like they'd never cried before. I hate to see them pained.

But what I really hate is that it is because of me.

I tried to ask myself, why would she do that? She had her family depending on her, why would she think that it's better for her to be gone, to be hurt than me? A sudden flashback came upon me.

The light of the TV was only lightening the room. It was an old movie, but it's one of her favourites – Titanic. "I wish I have someone to rescue me like that, to never let me go no matter what, to love me like that, who chooses to die for me." She held my hand. "I promise that no matter what I'll protect you, someday it'll be alright, even if this life is what it cost." I smiled at that silent promise. Worried but happy.

Now is the time she's talking about. And I never thought that it would be like this. I thought that it's like in the movies, like after the doctor says "clear" three times, she'll live but no. This is reality. Maybe it's better this way. She'll not suffer to much anymore. She'll be fine. This might be the right time for her to be named, to be one of the main characters.