32 • SER CRISTON COLE

TWO MOONS LATER

The sun warmed Rheanyra's back it streamed through the large windows of the small council meeting chambers. The bells rang indistinctly.

Not much has changed, especially since Daemon was banished from court. Unabashedly, people ran their tongues like a treadmill, eager to know who the next Queen will be, what House the King would marry from, the realm holds their breath to see which girl will catch the eye of Maegor II Targaryen.

Nonetheless, the King remains silent, and so does his small council, no one dares mention a word about his succession nor marriage, yet proposals are being sent for capital vying for his hand in marriage.

"Shall we discuss the replacement of Ser Harrold Westerling Your Grace." Otto reminds the King as Rheanyra comes to fill his cup. "He's the new commander of the King's Guard."

"Gods rest his soul. Ser Ryam was a strong Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. A man of integrity." Maegor spoke keenly.

"But he was ill for some time. He passed in peace, I hope." He added as Ser Otto and Lord Strong nods their head.

"Yes, Your Grace. He was found to have passed gently in his sleep. His remains are being prepared by the Silent Sisters." Grand Maester Mellos voice droned on.

Rhaenyra makes her way to Lord Beesbury's side and refill his cup.

"The succeeding Lord Commander, Ser Harrold, would like to make haste in finding Ser Ryam's replacement on the Kingsguard." Otto announced as the bald knight stepped forward taking the cue to address the small council.

"Your Grace. My lords, My Lady." Ser Harrold greets.

"The Kingsguard must soon be restored to its full complement of seven. With the help of the Hand, I've invited a number of fine candidates to court. All have passed fair trials." He stated gallantly.

Suddenly the doors were pushed opened abruptly by the Seasnake who stormed the room with fury.

"Four ships have now been lost! The last one was flying my banner. The Stepstones have now grown into a conflagration, yet you sit here and dither about court business." He spat distastefully.

"If you've something to discuss, Lord Corlys--" Otto began.

"I want to know what is to be done about my ships and my men!" Corlys tone was slightly raised.

"The Crown will compensate you for your ship and crew, and make an offering on their behalf....and to the men's families." Lord Strong says as Corlys stares at him with disdain.

"I don't want compensation." Corlys growled, rage boiling in his veins. 'I want to seize the Stepstones by force and burn out this Crabfeeder."

"I am not prepared to start a war with the Free Cities." Maegor dismissed.

"These pirates are not the Free Cities." Corlys grits his teeth.

"Who do you think provides them with their ships and tender?" Maegor questioned.

"In all of its history, my lord, the Seven Kingdoms have never entered open war with the Free Cities." Lord Beesbury spoke. "Were that to happen, the losses would be incalculable."

Corlys rounded and loomed over the table at Lord Beesbury. "What reason does the Crabfeeder have to fear us?"

"The King's own brother has been allowed to seize Dragonstone and fortify it with an army of his gold cloaks. Daemon has squatted there for over half a year without even a protest from The Crown." He spat irritated.