34 • THE REJECTED BRIDE

ONE WEEK LATER

So smitten is she by the charms of the man she calls “my white knight” Rhaenyra begged her uncle to name Ser Criston her own personal shield and protector. His Grace indulged her in this, as in so much else. Thereafter Ser Criston always wore her favor in the lists and became a fixture at her side during feasts and frolics.

Ser Criston Cole, now appointed to the Kingsguard to fill the place created by the death of the legendary Ser Ryam Redwyne. Since his gallantry has brought attention to the court, Cole soon has become a favorite of all the ladies at court…not the least amongst them Rhaenyra Targaryen herself.

The Dornish knight joined the Small Council, and his the other six knights and lordlings beneath the windows of the Great Throne room as Maegor sat the iron throne, resolving disputes, settling matters and passing out judgment.

Alicent stood at the right angle of the room amongst nobles, staring at the king's small finger that was wrapped in bandage while passing judgement. She wondered how badly how many times the iron throne had cut himself, though the King seemed healthy yet they say the Iron Throne can be perilous cruel to those who were not meant to sit it.

But Alicent believes King Maegor is meant for that seat perfectly. A man of valour such as him is dignified amongst gods and men.

Her drifted his gaze to her half sister, Charlotte, she stood proudly beside Rheanyra, in a navy blue dress smiling towards the iron throne stoically.

Sighing she rolls her eyes, and shook her head, looking back at the King, only to meet his narrowed gaze. Immediately Alicent held her hands and began cutting her finger nails seeping out the anxiety Maegor shot at her. His stare sent a chill in her spine and she got rather uncomfortable, lowering her head, tightening her lips.

The King shifted his gaze back to his subjects.

The light outside the windows was bright, protruding into the window glass. It was the season of spring and the weather was fresh.
Maegor settled disputes, gave coins, offered compensations of missing livestocks and outrightly took a man's head.

Gasping, eyes were widened in shock, as the King passed his final judgement on the matter. The court watched as Maegor swings Blackfyre in a swift motion. The Valyrian steel, spell forged, dark as smoke took off the man's head with a single sure stroke.

The fifty year old man's blood was red as summer wine, sprayed out across the ground like a fountain of ink, as courtiers moved back with a gasp and fear looking as the head rolled on the ground aimlessly, what a terrible site to behold.

Alicent widened her eyes with shock, she could not take his eyes off the blood. The floors streamed and drank it eagerly flowing like rivers, reddening as she watched, it poured ran through the room like streams.

Lord Thomas Collins was beheaded killing his wife to marry a mistress, and for raping his sister-in-law, three days to her nuptials. His head, fell fast slicing with a clean swipe, Ser Harrold gave a white napkin to the King as he cleaned his blade.

Everyone held their breath, silence was indeed golden.

Whilst the corpse rested on the floor militated, enthroned, the King instantly passed his titles and claims to his brother naming him heir and Lord, that is if he'll take the victim to wife, to which the young man agreed to a case closed.

"Good." Maegor's deep voice rumbled in the Great Hall.

Ser Otto inhales deeply and calls the final debate as Lord Ramsey Bolton, along with his sons Samwell Bolton, Ramsey Bolton and his daughter Nathalie Bolton comes approaching the iron throne.