36 • HOUSE VELARYON

Silence filled the King chambers as he dined with his niece. No one said a word, nor move to speak, the only sounds was the clanging of silverware, scratching with cutleries and chipping of crickets in the night.

Occasionally Rheanyra would share glances but her uncle was focused on his plate eating in silence under the glow of the chandelier lighted with candles above them in highlights.

Rheanyra sat across her uncle, the physical distance was great and he felt the rift too. regretting his decision for banishing Daemon.

"It is nice...... that we could spend time together like this.,.....as a family." Maegor broke the silence. "Two of us.."

Rheanyra was glad he made the effort to initiate a conversation. "I agree." She concurs.

"We haven't had dinner together for moons," she half smiles trying to lighten the mood.

"Hmm. I utmostly regret." Maegor only stopped to empty his cup, and continues cutting the piece of beef in front of him before resuming his meal.

"How was your day?" He asked as Rheanyra smirks.

"Splendid, Charlotte and I went to the Streets of Flour"

"Mmmhmm.... what for?" Maegor lifted a ringed hand, waving a servant to refill his cup.

"To see a modiste from Pentos." Rheanyra took of a morsel of beef into her mouth chewing decently, while a servant comes with a pitcher by her side and refills her cup. "And you?"

Maegor sighs. "I took the liberty to ride out.. enjoy a moment of solitude." The King replies before taking a sip of his wine as the naked image of Alicent flashed before him.

Rheanyra just sat silently eating and listening to them both. "I assume your promenade was exhilarating." She guessed.

"Of course it was, nature is ethereal......" Maegor smiles as the image of Alicent  submerging from the water, somehow made him hard. But he quickly drifted his gaze to his niece who seemed too quiet.

"We've been distant for a while Rheanyra, and if you're still mad at me for banishing Daemon..." Maegor observes her traction.

"We have not spoken much since we....lost aunt Mellario, it's not the same without her anymore and Uncle Daemon was in the wrong...." Rheanyra replies sadly.

Before she could finish her sentence Viserys interrupts. "A regret of mine my dear. Daemon over stepped his boundaries."

"But banishing him from court was unnecessary."

Maegor furrowed his brows. "Unnecessary, he disgraced our family."

"Perhaps removing him as Lord Commander would have been the best option uncle."

"Sending him away from court will only give him time to process his wrong doings. Let him keep the title, I only hope he turns a new leaf." Maegor sternly says.

Rheanyra quietly eats.

"We should be free to speak our minds to one another." He skeptically looked at her. "I'm not only your uncle, I'm your guardian." He reminds her.

"You can say whatever you'd like. You are the King." Rheanyra grinned at him

Maegor sat silent as words of regret fell off his lips. "I wish I could turn back time and set things right with Mellario."

"I know I haven't been the best husband to her but....I loved her very much. Just as I loved Viserys and Aemma. All of them." Maegor admits before lowering his head.

"As did I." Rheanyra ays warmly with a half smile. "We all did."

The King clears his throat. "So how's Ser Criston? Is he proving himself useful in the Kings Guard?" He drank from his cup.