Chapter 28: A Father's Sacrifice

Third Person POV

Chaeyoung was dumbfounded by what she just heard. She had her hands gripped on the side of the table so hard that the table shook in place.

Confusion, Sadness and Anger was all that occupied Chaeyoung's mind the latter overpowering the former two feelings.

Yongjin, who was on the other side of the table gave her a sympathetic look. A look that made Chaeyoung calm down a little atleast long enough to listen to what the man has to say.

"How?" Is all Chaeyoung managed to say as she slowly let go of the table.

"I don't have much time but I'll try to explain everything I can." Yongjin said.

'I still don't know if I can fully trust him but I need to know.' Chaeyoung thought to herself as she nodded.

"You are aware that your mother passed away because of a terminal illness right?" Yongjin asked. Chaeyoung's head perked up at this.

'What does that have to do with anything?' She thought but answered anyways. "Yes"

Chaeyoung's real mother passed away when she was too young to comprehend anything but her dad told her stories about her mother everyday they were together.

"This was when your father was a struggling business man just starting his company. He was already famous for being a genius but he wasn't financially in the best place." Yongjin said as he looked out the window as if he was reminiscing. He sighed before he continued.

"The doctors told your father that your mother had no hope of surviving. That they had no way of curing her. That was when the Gaia corp approached him. They told him that they were developing medicinal technology that can help your mother but in return for curing her illness he had to work for them on a different project. Project Genesis."

Yongjin spoke with distaste and anger laced in his voice. Chaeyoung could hear it clearly. Her doubts about the man infront of her slowly start to fade as she listened to him talk.

"What's Project Genesis? I feel like I have heard of it before somewhere but I can't remember." Chaeyoung asked.

The man looked at her and took somthing out of his bag. It was a USB drive. He pushed the little USB to Chaeyoung's side of the table. She picked it up and gave him a questioning look.

"Everything you need to know about Project Genesis is in there. Give it a look." Yongjin said as he took out his laptop from his bag and gave it to her. Chaeyoung quickly opened the laptop and plugged in the drive.

The first thing that popped up made Chaeyoung's eyes go wide in surprise.

The files infront of her showed Mina. Everything from her facial and body structure to her personality all written down and explained like it was some science. She realised where she heard the name 'Genesis' before. It was Mina, Mina told her about it.

Mina was titled in the files as subject 13. Also something that she told Chaeyoung the first time they met.

Chaeyoung read the files more and she came to realise that Project Genesis isn't what she thought it was.

This was never a project to make an artificial being. No. This was much worse. This was a Project to transfer a living person's consciousness to the digital plane.

The blueprints showed illustrations of a glass chamber filled with a green liquid with a person inside it and wires connected to them. Mina is the finished product.

Chaeyoung just found out that Mina, the girl she is in love with...

"Mina is... human."

And she's trapped in a glass cage somewhere.