six

Aurora

I've been dreading art class all day. I just don't know how to act around Ivy, and she makes me feel these weird emotions that I can't recognize. I've talked to my friends like normal today, but I still feel guilt bubbling up inside me at the thought of my true intentions and the fact that I'll have to leave them eventually.

I play with my fingers as I quietly sit next to Ivy. Neither of us say anything, which honestly confuses me a little. I know why I'm quiet, but I don't understand why she is. I can't seem to get a good read on her, and as an observer, it frustrates me.

The teacher clears her throat, "This unit will be about 3D art and sculpting. You all can use any materials you choose, like clay, cardboard, or even wax."

I immediately start brainstorming what I want to make and what material I'd use.

"...But this will be a partner project. Your desk-mate will be your partner, and you two will have two weeks to complete your sculpture. The theme is 'What the subconscious desires,'" she explains.

Childish excitement overpowers my discomfort at the thought of working closely with Ivy and the idea of being in each other's homes.

Ivy breaks the silence, "Your house or mine?"

I slightly jump as her voice reaches my ears, immediately quickening the beating of my heart. "No one's ever home at mine," I suggest as I make eye contact.

She slides her phone out of her pocket and places it in my hands, her fingers sending jolts of electricity through mine. "Give me your number," she says while holding her gaze.

I type my number into her phone nervously, trying to remember it. It could be because I just got my phone a couple days ago or because of our close proximity and the way the softness of her fingers lingers on mine.

"Have any ideas for the sculpture?" I ask, attempting to decrease the tension between the two of us.

She rests her head on her hand, and I can't help but imagine it being my hand touching her cheek. "Honestly, this prompt doesn't make sense to me," she averts her gaze, making it clear to me that she's embarrassed... An emotion I haven't seen on her before.

I stare at her while I think for a moment. "Hmm, in my opinion, humans really just desire comfort like stability and love. I think those things make people happy."

She gives me a blank look before saying, "I feel like that's unrealistic."

I stiffen, taken aback by her adamant disagreement. "What?"

"I don't think those are common desires. Not everyone dreams of those things, and most people want things like success and money," she explains her weirdly cynical perspective of humans.

I simply nod, dumbfounded at Ivy's beliefs. We see things so differently, and I can't help but think that her perspective is totally wrong.

"Maybe we can include both of our ideas in our project," I suggest with a smile, trying to compromise.

She nods as we discuss more ideas for the sculpture, like what materials to use and how we want it to look. I enjoy every conversation I've had with humans, but I somehow enjoy ones with Ivy more. There's something about her that pulls me in, and talking to her makes me feel like I'm floating. Maybe I like imagining things, but I feel like there's something in the way she looks at me. The fact that I don't know what it is and that I can't get a good read on her just makes me want to find out more.

Class ends and we say our goodbyes. It feels weird to part from her even though we only talked for a class period. Just that much interaction leaves me missing her for the rest of the day.

---

I fall onto my bed and try to keep myself awake. There's homework I need to do, but my pillow is calling me. My eyelids start drooping down as my phone chimes.

New Chat

Unknown Number: It's Ivy. Let's meet at your place tomorrow to work on the project.

My stomach fills up with butterflies at the fact that we're texting and that fact that we'll be alone here tomorrow.

Aurora: Sounds good ☺️

Ivy: Send me something to use as your contact photo

I immediately sit up, panicking over the fact that I don't have any photos at all. I've already read her message, so I need to take a photo quickly. I jump up and run to my bathroom to put some lip gloss on and fluff up my hair. I snap a quick photo of myself awkwardly smiling and send it.

Ivy: Nice toilet

I raise my eyebrows and click on the out-of-focus picture of me awkwardly smiling with my toilet behind me. The lighting made the auto focus go to the toilet and me a little blurry, spotlighting my toilet rather than me.

Aurora: I didn't notice it. Send me a pic for your contact.

I try to move on from my embarrassing picture and pace around my room anxiously.

Ivy: (1 Image)

The picture loads and reveals Ivy doing a peace sign with a small smile. She looks really cute. I set it as her contact photo and smile at the contact on my phone.

Aurora: Cute :)

She reads it, and I wait impatiently for her response that never comes. I start nibbling on my nails, regretting my text. She's probably uncomfortable with it and doesn't know what to say. I feel like I crossed a line. I mean I don't even know her that well, and she's so closed off. She probably won't even want to be friends anymore.

Ivy never replies to my text, forcing me to overthink for the rest of my night and slow down my productivity in terms of homework and school work the next day.

---

During lunch, I can't help but think about Ivy. I grow increasingly more nervous as the time passes, because I have art after lunch. After a minute of trying to resist myself from looking at our messages again, I fail and reread our whole embarrassing conversation. When I get to the last text, I cringe in regret.

"Get off your phone, Rory." Oliver teases.

I look up, embarrassed. "Rory?" I grin at the nickname.

"Suits you," Cora chimes in.

I smile happily at how familiar I'm getting with the group. "It's a cute nickname," Eliana winks.

Our conversations during lunch are able to partially ease my overthinking, but part of me anxiously counts down the minutes until I face Ivy.

After lunch, I sit in my seat and look down at my hands.

I hope she doesn't show up today. I hope she doesn't show-

"Hey," Ivy greets me politely.

"Hi," I reply. The picture she sent along with my response keep popping up in my head.

"We still on for today?" Ivy asks as I meet her eyes, noticing her dark hair tied back in a low ponytail and her off-the-shoulder top revealing her smooth collarbones. The front of her layers, not long enough to reach her ponytail, rest on the sides of her face, perfectly framing it.

I nod and fiddle with my fingers. I can't help it. The unanswered questions make things feel too awkward for me. I wonder if she's uncomfortable with me or if she took my message the wrong way.

"I'm sorry about what I texted you," I spew out.

Ivy's eyebrows raise while she thinks for a second before realizing what I'm referring to. "Oh that?" She laughs. "I didn't know how to respond. I was a little shocked," she looks away.

"Really? I thought you were like uncomfortable," I perk up at her response.

"No," she looks at me. "I liked it." She mumbles so quietly that I barely hear it.

𓂋
ʚ♡ɞ