chapter 46: the vow and the truce

As Fides wandered through the serene gardens of a traditional ryokan nestled in the hills outside Nagasaki, she found herself captivated by the beauty of her surroundings. Cherry blossoms bloomed delicately, their petals fluttering in the gentle breeze like confetti falling from the sky. The air was scented with the sweet fragrance of wisteria, and the soft murmur of a nearby stream provided a soothing backdrop to her thoughts.

She sat on a wooden bench beneath a blossoming Sakura tree, her laptop open as she composed an email to her parents. The sound of a koto being played softly in the distance added to the tranquil atmosphere, reminding her of the cultural richness that surrounded her.

Fides (in her email):

"Dear Papa and Mama,

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to share some moments from where I am. The gardens are enchanting, especially this time of year when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom. I've been exploring the local markets, trying new foods, and immersing myself in the rich history and traditions of the place.

I've attached a few photos and videos for you to enjoy. The scenery here is breathtaking, and I find myself feeling more at peace with each passing day. I miss you both dearly, but I'm grateful for this opportunity to experience such beauty and serenity.

Sending you all my love,

Fides"

She attached snapshots of the gardens, capturing the vibrant colors of the blossoms against the backdrop of a tranquil pond. In another video, she recorded the mesmerizing dance of koi fish gliding gracefully through the water, their scales shimmering in the dappled sunlight.

Fides's parents, receiving the email, smiled warmly at the images and videos, reassured by their daughter's evident happiness and the beauty surrounding her wherever she is... They knew she was finding solace and rejuvenation in her journey, and they looked forward to hearing more about her adventures when she returned home.

At Mondragon's residence, Philippines

Raphael: Alyza, have you heard anything from Fides recently? It's been quite some time since she left for Nagasaki.

Alyza: Yes, I've been keeping in touch with her through emails and calls. She seems to be enjoying her time there, finding solace in the tranquility of Nagasaki.

Raphael: That's good to hear. I hope this time away has been healing for her. It must have been tough, especially after what happened with Andrei.

Alyza: Indeed. I know Fides well enough to know that she needed this time for herself. It was heartbreaking to see how things unfolded between them.

Raphael: Do you think they'll be able to sort things out? Andrei seemed genuinely remorseful.

Alyza: It's hard to say. Fides needed space to process everything. She's always been so strong-willed and independent. I just hope she's taking this time to heal and find clarity.

Raphael: She deserves happiness, Alyza. I've always thought highly of Fides, and seeing her hurt like this is difficult.

Alyza: I agree, Raphael. Let's trust that time will heal wounds and that Fides will emerge from this stronger than ever.

Raphael:  She's resilient. I just hope she knows we're here for her, no matter what.

Alyza: She does, Raphael. And knowing Fides, she'll reach out when she's ready.

One afternoon...

Raphael: (Surprised) "Andrei, I didn't expect to see you here."