Chapter 4

The silence was deafening and made me nervous as I rubbed my hands down my arms.  I worried my sister would be mad at me for what I did.  I tried to kill her and then left her for dead so I could get away from Gabriel after I shot him.

I rubbed my hands together as Colleen looked at Nathaniel and said, "I'm not mad at you, Elena.  We made a pact when we were younger, but I lost control of Willow that night.  We didn't know I would still be alive, and if you hadn't killed Willow, a lot more people would have been killed."

I let out a breath as I looked at Nolan and said, "I know, but why didn't you guys come to us when Nico came to talk to you a few months ago?  I thought you were and wish you would have told me that soon.  However, when did you guys find out you were mates?"

Nathaniel chuckled and said, "I knew since I was sent here a while back to get more training, but I found out the night I came over to help you decide if you should take the mission to kill Nolan and Shane.  I felt the pull that I felt a lot around you, but then when I was around you with Colleen, I noticed it wasn't you I was getting pulled to.  I also didn't want to do anything that would piss you off or my father since he said I was going to marry you."

I chuckled as I watched Colleen look over at him and said, "I just want all of you to live a good life, and if that means she is with you, I'm happy.  Please don't hurt her, though.  She's been through so much."

Nathaniel nodded and said, "Trust me, I know I was there the night you attacked her, and I know you were forced to kill her.  Once everyone cleared out, I grabbed her and brought her here, knowing it would be the safest place.  I know you don't like working with witch hunters, but the people working with us are good and have turned over a new leaf."

I dropped my head and said, "I guess I will have to learn to trust them, but if they are anything like Thea, I don't think it will be that hard.  However, it's weird that Max was brought into our life as if he was meant to be brought here to reunite with his birth mother.  I never would have thought he was part of the Jenson line, but we didn't even know about Thea."

Colleen nodded as she smiled and said, "She has had a hard life from getting shipped here and being unable to leave for a few years.  Then, her mother was killed by the elders after Gabriel was trying to help them get to Thea while she was pregnant with Max.  However, she grew into a good person as Max's dad managed to get the people here their freedom."

My eyes widened, and I said, "What do you mean Gabriel helped them?  That's one thing we didn't understand when we discovered he was helping the hunters.  It was weird that they never tried to kill him."

Nolan wrapped an arm around my shoulders, and I leaned into him as he said, "From what we understand, Thea is Gabriel and Alexander's mate.  She thinks he turned his eyes back on you because she rejected him a few years before he spotted us on that class trip in California.  She blames herself for everything that happened to you.  That's what Pierce told us, at least."

I leaned forward, ran my fingers through my hair, and said, "That doesn't make sense why he keeps coming after me.  She is his mate; he must try to make it work with her, not chase after me.  Why are we brought into this?"

We looked towards the door as it opened, and Alexander strolled into the room and said, "It's because Thea rejected him, and he found out that he needed a member from Primrose's family to transfer her soul into them.  However, her power is supposed to enter Thea's body to make her more powerful.  You already have enough power, but he doesn't care."

I dropped my hands between my legs and said, "He needs to get his shit together, or people are going to start turning against him like Nico did before he was killed.  How is Josephine doing since his death?  I know it couldn't be easy since they were mated."

Alexander sighed and walked over to us as he sits beside me.  He wrapped an arm around me said, "She took off after we left Colorado and we haven't seen her since.  I know she wasn't taking it well though.  However, do they know what happened when Gabriel found us?"

I dropped my head and said, "For the most part I told them who all was killed by Gabriel when everyone left but I didn't tell them much else.  I didn't think it really mattered at the time when we were trying to get here before Gabriel got to us."

Alexander nodded as he stood and said, "I need to head out because I pissed off my mate cause I stayed away too long and I need to make it up to her before we have to discuss our next move to destroy Gabriel and the Dark Hearts."

I laughed as I looked up and noticed how nervous he was and said, "You know she will forgive you if you explain why you had to do what you did.  Something tells me she's going to under that you had to come and help us after you helped Nolan and myself."

Alexander turned toward the door and said, "I know but you know how it feels when you think you were betrayed by your mate and she feels like Gabriel and I betrayed her.  It's going to be difficult especially with her just being a witch.  The people here weren't given a choice and got to keep their humanity.  I envy them because I wish I would of had that choice."

I sighed as I thought back to when I was reintroduced to Josephine and how she had me believing  that Nolan was going to leave me for her.  I grabbed Nolan's hand and said, "Hey I know you want to talk to her alone but do you mind if I come with you and explain to her what was going on.  She might lighten up some when you come to her."

Alexander nodded as I quickly stood and followed him out of the house and down the road to Thea's house.