Chapter 1

A sharp tone from the TV quiets down the bustle of the bar. Most patrons turn towards the small screen as the New California Republic representative walks out onto the stage and behind the podium. He clears his throat and smiles as he announces the basics of the lottery they all knew. Whoever has the winning number gets to take themselves and their family out of No Man's Land and to the safety of Haven. Anyone interested in watching to see if they are a winner knows damn well why they want to get out of No Man's Land.

"I heard some people fake their numbers." The older man on the stool beside a woman speaks over the lip of his drink. He doesn't seem to be particularly talking to anyone, as much as anyone who'd listen. "It's first come, first serve." He continues. "So, if someone fakes your number, you're fucked."

The woman glances over at him through the side of her brown eyes. He is still watching the TV intently as the representative rambles on.

"I met a family that got scammed. Had a little girl who was just born." He shakes his balding head. "Sad story."

She turns her attention back towards the TV as he begins reading off the numbers. "42003-" She quickly tunes him out, as the numbers don't match her own. Standing up from the barstool, she sets down a couple of 9mm bullets, paying for the stew before grabbing the leather duster hung over the chair and heading out the door.

----

The woman walks into the Ranger's headquarters. The Rangers bustle around her, never having nothing to do. Many Rangers travel outside of the New Zone, their home state, to fight the infected or to work as mercenaries in the regions once known as United California.

She walks in, never being stopped or questioned by the busy Rangers, as she is a common sight here, even if she's not one of their own. She makes her way to the quartermaster Ace's setup and greets him.

"Erin, it's good to see you again." Ace smiles at her, bowing his head from behind the barred inventory.

"I got your weapon order to New Industry. They'll be on their way soon."

"You're efficient as always." The smile stays on his face as he scoops out a handful of 5.56 ammo, setting it on the opening in front of him. Erin grabs it and begins putting it in her bag. "Some extra food tickets for your timeliness." He rips a few tickets off the roll, pushing them forward.

"Ed here?" Erin asks as she sorts the things into her bag, knowing she'll have to go through it later.

"Should be." Ace shrugs.

Erin walks away from him toward their scrap dealer, eventually finding him outside his booth. She convinces him to return so she can get her tickets for trade in exchange for the scrap she had picked up along the way. After dealing with him, she moves to the different booths, picking up a new pair of gloves and a few pieces of candy, things that aren't easy to find in No Man's Land.

"Erin!" Someone calls out to her as she heads for the exit, stashing her newly acquired items into her bag. "Do you have time for drinks?"

"Not today, Katie." She shakes her head. "I've got a delivery in No Man's. Don't have time to drink."

"Next time."

"Next time." They both confirm plans before Erin leaves the Ranger's base. She rides along the well-kept roads, stopping at one of the gates between New Zone and No Man's Land. No matter how many times she has passed through, she has to partake in the same ritual.

"Erin Henderson." She speaks her name for the log. "Infected. Resident of No Man's Land." She answers before the guard even asks.

"Stay safe out there." The man jots the information down before opening the gate for her. She drives through on her way to her next stop.