2

While giving one last look over the papers for my evening presentation, a knock interrupted my concentration. I glanced up to see my assistant, and only close friend, Nehmat Sandhu Virk standing in the doorway with a serious expression.

She cleared her throat before speaking. "Your uncle is here to meet you."

I froze, unsure how to react. I'd heard that he had been released from jail last week. Before I could gather my thoughts, the phone rang. Answering it, I heard the receptionist explain that my uncle was insisting on meeting me. I could even hear his pleading voice in the background.

With a sense of hesitation, I instructed, "Send him in."

As I set the receiver down, Nehmat  stepped closer, her concern evident. "Are you sure about this?"

I hesitated, my mind racing. What was I supposed to say? She sighed, the worry in her eyes deepening. "If you want, I can stay here with you."

I managed a faint smile, appreciating her support. " I think I’ll be okay.It's okay, you can wait in your cabin. If I need anything, I'll call you," I told Nehmat, trying to sound more confident than I felt.

We both heard the knock on the door. "Come in," I said, my voice steady. My uncle entered the office, and Nehmat gave me one last concerned glance before returning to her own room.

As my  uncle walked in, his presence filling the room with an uneasy tension. He looked different, worn down by the years in prison, but there was still that unsettling gleam in his eyes.

He looked around awkwardly before his gaze settled on me. "Thank you for seeing me," he said, his voice low and rough.

My uncle settled into the chair opposite me, taking a moment to look around my office. His eyes lingered on various awards and photos, the symbols of the success I had built despite his betrayal. I watched him silently, unsure of his intentions.

After a minute, he finally broke the silence.

"How are you?" he asked, but before I could answer, he continued, "You seem happy. I heard the company has grown to new heights over the years. I searched online, and your name is at the top of everything."

I remained silent, trying to gauge his intentions. His expression was unreadable, his tone ambiguous. Was he genuinely curious, or was there something more behind his words?

"It's been a lot of hard work," I replied cautiously, not giving away too much.

He nodded, still looking around the room. "I can see that. You've done well for yourself."

"I've been out for almost a week," he continued, his face a mask devoid of readable emotion. "A lot has changed over the years."

He paused, looking down before meeting my eyes again. "You know, despite my hatred for your father, I never stopped loving you. You were my doll," he sighed deeply. "But my hate for him clouded my judgment."

He paused, giving me a sad smile. "I never thought things would turn out like this. But it seems I'm a very jealous person, and because of this jealousy, I ended up losing my son." He took a deep breath and then continued, "I'm going to our beach house today, so I thought to meet you once before that.I know I have no right to ask for anything, but I needed to see you, to see how you've been.I don't expect forgiveness. But I just want you to know that I am sorry. It took me losing everything to understand the full extent of my actions."

A knock on the door interrupted our conversation. We both turned as Nehmat entered, carrying a glass of juice. She placed the glass in front of my uncle and then looked at me, her eyes asking if I was okay. It was clear she was concerned and was using this as an excuse to check on me.

"Thank you, Nehmat," I said, appreciating her silent support.

Nehmat lingered for a moment, clearly reluctant to leave. "If you need anything, just call," she said, her eyes locked on mine.

"I'll take my leave now," my uncle said, standing up. "Thank you for giving me your time. I wanted to visit the cliff where his ashes were scattered into the sea after his cremation, as well as the tree I planted there in his memory, but I couldn't while I was in jail. I know it must have been hard for you to face him after everything that happened. Hopefully, he's at peace now, there. It's good to see you've become a successful person on your own."

With that, he walked away, leaving a whirlwind of emotions in his wake. I stood there, trying to process the mix of sorrow, and confusion that surged through me.

Nehmat stepped forward, her presence a comforting balm. She wrapped her arms around me in a gentle hug, slowly rubbing my back. "It's okay," she whispered. "You did well."

I took a deep breath, letting her words and the warmth of her embrace calm the storm inside me. "Thank you, Nehmat," I murmured, feeling a bit more grounded.

She pulled back slightly, just enough to look me in the eyes. "You don't have to go through this alone," she said softly. "We're all here for you."

I broke the hug and managed a small smile. "I'm fine, really. I was just a bit unprepared."

As I sat down, Nehmat handed me the juice glass she had brought. I took a sip, the cool liquid somewhat soothing my frayed nerves. "You can go back to your cabin. I'm okay now."

She hesitated, searching my eyes for any sign of distress, then nodded. "Alright, but if you need anything, just call."

"Thank you, Nehmat," I said, watching as she left the room. The door clicked shut behind her, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Today is his death anniversary also. I had never visited the cliff after his death. My uncle's mention of him brought back a flood of memories from the past. The notion that my cousin could pass away before me, coupled with the realization that I hadn't once visited the tree which was planted in his memory, was something I never fathomed. It felt surreal, as if the fabric of time had twisted to unveil a reality I never imagined possible.Would he feel lonely on that cliff near the beach? The question gnawed at me, and I tried to push it away.

A dull ache began to throb in my temples, exacerbated by the lack of sleep from my ongoing battle with insomnia. The constant stress and these resurfacing memories were too much. I reached for a painkiller and swallowed it with the remaining juice, hoping for some relief.

As I leaned back in my chair, I let my mind drift back to the past, despite the pain it caused. My brother and I had shared so many moments together, both good and bad. The cliff near the beach was our secret place, a sanctuary where we could escape the world. Now, it felt like a graveyard of memories.

I closed my eyes,  trying to escape the hunting past, trying to focus on the present, on the work that needed my attention. But the past had a way of creeping in, refusing to be ignored.

.............

A/N

Here's the second chapter. I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments, and if you enjoyed it, please consider hitting the vote button. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.