Four

After two weeks of talking to Salim, I realized I had completely fallen for him.

The day he casually mentioned that he was single was, without a doubt, the happiest day of my life. By then, I was fully accustomed to the Snapchat streaks, so I often sent random pictures to my friends, including clips of my classmates at school.

One day, I sent a shot that happened to include Emmanuel, one of my classmates, without thinking much of it. But, to my surprise, Salim misunderstood.

"Is that your boyfriend?"

"Eww, of course not."

"Lol, why is your reaction negative?"

"I don't have a boyfriend, and it definitely wouldn't be any of my crazy class boys?"

"You're really funny, he looks perfectly fine to me sha."

"Abi. Do you have a girlfriend?"

"Chap, where I see? Girls don't like me."

"Is that so? Interesting."

"Why is it interesting?"

"Nothing oh."

"It's well."

"Our fasting will soon end, I am looking forward to it?"

"Why? Because of Eid?"

"No, it's actually something deep, but I won't tell you."

"You won't tell me? Why na?"

"Later."

Later when? What was he hiding? Hmm. Okay o. I paid attention to my lessons and didn't reply. It was a Friday, so our lessons ended by 4, so my friends and I decided to go over to my house and just chill until 6. They also wanted to see Salim, but I wasn't sure if it would be possible, since he was barely home until evening.

"Play music for us, Abby!" Faith cried out, and I burst into laughter before connecting the Bluetooth speaking.

"Ay ay let's go!"

"Please oh, make una no dey shout for my papa house abeg," I begged them as they climbed my dining table and were dancing.

When everyone was exhausted, I brought out some snacks for them, and soon enough, it was time to escort them home. Mira, Elsa, Betty, Faith, and I stepped outside, walking out of my house, and they eagerly took pictures with my phone.

I felt a bit out of place in my casual house clothes, while they were still in their school uniforms, though they had taken off their shirts, leaving them in their inner tops. As we walked past a familiar place, I couldn't help but point it out.
"See the boy house," I said casually, referring to Salim’s place.

"E fine o, we fit go greet am? Make we say hello, who knows whether he go fit find us something."

"Betty, why must you be like this? So brazen," I commented and they laughed.

"I learnt from the best teacher," she glared at me and I locked arms with her.

"No be the Salim be that?" Faith noticed Salim coming out of his house, and my heart skipped a beat. I had shown them a video of him getting a haircut at the barbershop, so they easily recognized him. His tall frame was unmistakable, and my foolish friends couldn't resist gawking. I was mortified as they openly stared, wishing desperately for the ground to open up and swallow me.

"Salim!" Betty yelled out of nowhere, causing me to almost hit her in my panic. I shot her a frantic look, trying to signal her to be quiet, but it was too late. Salim turned towards us, and I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment.