Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 4: The Mask Cracks

"This is the worst plan I have ever heard," Archie mumbled as he and Jacob rode on the carriage. "How long is this supposed to last? What if the bandits never show?"

Sir Christian had gone so far as to even choose their outfits, making them dress up to look like merchants. The two knights were following closely behind them, staying hidden and waiting for the bandits to make their presence known.

"Never took you for being impatient," Jacob commented, making the stable boy groan. "Ya heard the villagers too. One of 'em got robbed around 'ere just yesterday."

"That does not prove any—" Archie stopped talking at once as they heard light ruffling around them. He glanced at Jacob, who had his game face on as well.

Maybe Sir Christian's plan was not so terrible after all.

They continued riding, with Jacob making up a fake conversation about the jewels they were transporting to entice the bandits. He had his hand on the hilt of his sword that they had concealed with a rag, ready for the upcoming attack. Not far from where they were, the two men saw a huge log blocking the path.

They shared matching looks, knowing exactly where they were going to get ambushed.

As soon as they reached the fallen tree, five men jumped out from the cover of the forest and surrounded them, all with weapons in their hands. Jacob and Archie would have been surprised if they had not seen it coming from a mile away.

"Stay right where you are! Give us what is in the carriage and we will consider sparing your lives," spoke one of them.

"Okay! Okay! Take it all, just do not hurt us!" Jacob exclaimed, putting up quite an act. He almost had Archie convinced for a short second.

Two of the bandits chuckled, clearly amused by the helplessness of their victims, as they made their way to the carriage to look into it. They opened the door, only to be met by a surprise of their own.

"Ay, boss! There is nothin' in here! It is empty!"

"Huh? Are you—"

In an instant, the table was turned as Sir Christian and Kenric attacked the bandits. Jacob joined them, even though the knights had told him to stay in the carriage with Archie as he was not a trained soldier. He had scoffed even then, claiming that there was no way in hell that he was going to miss out on the fun part.

Despite having an advantage in numbers, the bandits were easily brought to their knees. They were of no match for two highly skilled knights, along with the man who had survived alone in the South for longer than any other human.

It was not too long until their hands were tied up behind their backs and Sir Christian was searching them one by one for any hidden weapons. He found a few knives and other tools and proceeded to confiscate them.

"I think we are ready to go. We will transport them by foot to the nearest village. From there, we will take them to the castle in a wagon. I have already made the arrangements," the blond knight stated.

"Alright. Good work. Lets—"

Archie tuned out what Kenric was saying as he noticed one of the bandits glaring at the prince and his arms moving ever so subtly behind his back. Within the blink of an eye, the nasty man was on his feet and charging at Kenric with a dagger in his hand.

Archie intercepted, twisting the bandit's arm sideways as he screamed in pain and the weapon fell from his grasp. But Archie did not stop there. He landed a punch right to the man's jaw, and then another, making him drop to the ground. Archie climbed on top of him and continued pummeling him until he felt somebody pulling him back.

icon lock

Show your support for kara, and continue reading this story

by kara
@howtosellmysoul
The forbidden romance between a prince and a stable boy is tested onc...
Buy a new story part. Your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.
See how Coins support your favorite writers like @howtosellmysoul.