THE LEFT EYE

PROLOGUE

October 2

Ezra stands in the middle of the basketball court. At lightning speed I run over to him, the blue and white walls blur together. Either a result of me speeding towards Ezra, or tears from the thought of losing him.

When I reach him, I can now see the horrifying things that son of bitch is doing to him. Ezra's eyes are glazed over, and his breath is rapid and harsh. I can't tell if his hands are shaking, or if it just seems like that because my own hands are shaking when they latch onto his.

"Ezra, please. Ezra! Wake up! Please, Ezra," I beg hysterically. Tears are rushing down my face and I can't concentrate on anything but waking Ezra up.

Through the panic, I don't notice the damned bitch sneak into the dark gym. But I knew when it came to find me, I would know.

Ezra's body halts suddenly, but starts again, shaking uncontrollably. As if he was having a seizure, he falls to the hard polished floor. His body shudders on the floor momentarily before

getting dragged by some invisible force. I feel paralyzed, and can only watch as Ezra moves farther away from me, and closer to the thing.

"Mazie! Flynn! Help, please!," I scream, begging for anyone to rescue us from this hell. "Help us!"

Ezra's limp figure finally is right in front of the monster. The wimp I am, and have been, I just stand in the middle of the gym and sob. I try shouting for Ezra to wake up, but it turns too quickly into a sob.

The monstrosity opens its mouth while scooping Ezra up in its hands. A bright light protrudes from the mouth and seems to be drawing Ezra closer to it. The mouth is opening wider and wider to reveal rows and rows of blood-stained teeth.

I break myself loose from the terror-induced paralysis, and start running. Hoping with all my might to somehow stop what I know Ezra is about to suffer. I reach the demonic thing, and jump forward to break Ezra from the power of the thing. My attempt somewhat works, because its frightening and glowing eyes turn towards me. It instinctively flung me off, so I'm left helplessly lying on the gym floor.

Slowly its body turns back towards Ezra. I scream weakly, but there's no use.

The dark mass raises its grotesque claw and stabs it directly into Ezra's chest. Blood immediately starts soaking through his shirt, corrupting the blue fabric.

At that moment, I think I lost my mind. Moments before blacking out, I see my best friend get murdered. I scream Ezra's name over and over. Sobbing endlessly.

My vision is hazy and getting darker. In this moment, all I want is to die, if it means I can see the animated Ezra I just lost, one more time.

Everything fades to darkness, and the terror of the night has left my mind.