12 | Requested

It had been a few days since the last time I had seen Homelander. The argument, the kiss, the confusion—everything had settled into a tense silence that left me feeling more conflicted than ever. I had been trying to move on, focusing on my work and my routine, but the memories of him had a way of creeping back into my mind.

I was deep into a pile of spreadsheets when my manager's voice cut through my concentration. "Can I see you in my office for a moment?" she asked, her tone serious.

I glanced up, surprised by the formality in her voice. "Sure," I said, standing up and gathering my things. I followed her to her office, my stomach knotting with anxiety as I wondered what this was about.

Inside her office, she sat down behind her desk and motioned for me to sit across from her. I took my seat, trying to maintain a calm exterior despite the flutter of nerves in my stomach.

"I have some news for you," she began, her tone steady. "Ashley wants to see you. She's asked for you specifically."

My heart skipped a beat at the mention of Ashley's name. The CEO rarely interacted with the lower-level employees like me. "Ashley? What does she want with me?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

She shifted in her seat, her gaze sympathetic. "It seems that she's heard about your interaction with Homelander and wants to discuss it with you."

The words hit me like a cold splash of water. "My interaction with Homelander?" I repeated, my mind racing.

She nodded. "Yes. There have been some concerns about it, and Ashley wants to get to the bottom of it. I'm afraid you'll have to go see her now."

I tried to keep my panic under control. "Is there any way I can avoid this? I mean, there's really nothing to talk about."

She shook her head. "I'm afraid not. This is a matter of company policy. If she wants to see you, you have to go."

I sighed, resignation settling over me. "Okay. I'll go."

She gave me a sympathetic look as she escorted me to the elevator. "Good luck," she said quietly as the elevator doors closed behind me.

The ride up to the top floors of Vought International felt interminable. My thoughts raced, trying to come up with a plausible explanation or a way to avoid the confrontation with Ashley. But as the elevator doors opened and I stepped out into the opulent hallway, I knew there was no escaping it.

I was led to Ashley's office, a grand space with a sweeping view of the city below. The security guard knocked on the door and opened it for me. I stepped inside, my heart pounding as I took in the sight of Ashley seated behind her desk.

She looked up from her paperwork, her eyes narrowing slightly as she assessed me. "Hello," she said, her tone professional but with an edge of impatience. "Please, have a seat."

I took the offered chair, trying to keep my nerves in check. "Ms. Barrett, you wanted to see me?"

Ashley didn't waste any time. "Yes, I did. I've been informed that Homelander has expressed interest in you. I'd like you to explain what's been going on between the two of you."

I tried to keep my voice calm, though my anxiety was evident. "There's nothing going on between us. He approached me once, but it was just a brief conversation."

Ashley raised an eyebrow. "Is that so? I've heard that there was more to it. He asked to see you, and there have been reports of some sort of connection."

I swallowed hard, struggling to maintain my composure. "I assure you, there's nothing more to it. I don't have any relationship with him beyond a professional one."