Glossary

Glossary

**Battle of Salamanca (1812)**: A significant battle in the Peninsular War, where the British, led by the Duke of Wellington, defeated the French forces in Spain. This victory marked a turning point in the war, weakening French control over the Iberian Peninsula.

**Battle of Vitoria (1813)**: Another crucial battle in the Peninsular War, where British, Portuguese, and Spanish forces decisively defeated the French, leading to the eventual expulsion of French troops from Spain.

**Battle of Waterloo (1815)**: The final and decisive battle of the Napoleonic Wars, where the British, Prussian, and other allied forces, led by the Duke of Wellington and Field Marshal Blücher, defeated Napoleon Bonaparte, ending his rule and marking the end of the wars.

**Blacksmith's apprentice**: A young individual training under a skilled blacksmith to learn the craft of forging and shaping metal.

**Boot camp**: A rigorous training program for new recruits in the military, designed to prepare them physically and mentally for service.

**British Army**: The principal land warfare force of the United Kingdom, involved in numerous conflicts during the Napoleonic Wars.

**Captain**: A military rank, typically in command of a company of soldiers, responsible for leadership, strategy, and welfare of their troops.

**Guerrilla tactics**: A form of irregular warfare where small groups use surprise attacks, sabotage, and mobility to fight larger traditional military forces.

**Little Aston**: A fictional tranquil English village, representing the kind of peaceful home life left behind by many soldiers who joined the military during the Napoleonic Wars.

**Napoleonic Wars (1803-1815)**: A series of wars involving Napoleon Bonaparte's French Empire against various European coalitions, significantly impacting Europe's political landscape.

**Peninsular War (1808-1814)**: A major conflict during the Napoleonic Wars fought on the Iberian Peninsula, where British, Portuguese, and Spanish forces battled the French.

**Recruit**: A new member of the military, undergoing initial training to become a soldier.

**Ronda**: A historic town in Spain, often associated with picturesque landscapes and historical battles during various conflicts, including the Napoleonic Wars.

**San Sebastián**: A coastal city in Spain, which was the site of a significant siege and battle during the Peninsular War, where Allied forces captured the city from the French.

**Sergeant**: A non-commissioned officer rank in the military, responsible for leading smaller groups of soldiers and often acting as a link between the officers and enlisted personnel.

**Statues**: Monuments erected to honor significant individuals or events, often found in public spaces as a tribute to their contributions or sacrifices.

**The Duke of Wellington**: Arthur Wellesley, the British military leader who played a crucial role in defeating Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo and in various other campaigns during the Napoleonic Wars.

**Wounded**: Injuries sustained in battle, often severe and requiring medical attention, which could be fatal in the context of early 19th-century warfare due to the lack of advanced medical treatments.