02. Andreas Hidalgo

"Thank you

"Thank you." I grab the items I purchased from the counter and exit the convenience store. Jesse stands at the exit, waiting for me. His face lights up as I approach him, and we fall into step together.

We're in my neighborhood, a hidden gem in the countryside just outside New York City. Many people don't even know this place exists, but those of us who live here know it well. Jesse doesn't live here, though; he just enjoys having dinner with me and my mom on nights like this. He's been my partner for six years, and we've always tackled missions together. Some people think we're a couple, but who really knows?

"Why do you think The Dominion crashed?" he asks out of the blue. It's clear he's been mulling over the case since we left the office.

"Power plays, bad politics, betrayal-a lot of reasons could have caused it, it's been in so many articles too." I respond, making a mental note to research The Dominion further. A Mafia syndicate so infamous that it's now taught to university students studying criminology.

"Do you think Andreas is trying to revive The Dominion?" Jesse asks. "I mean, why go so far to expand your criminal network just for yourself?"

"He's a sociopath, Jesse. He may honestly not have any real reason for expanding other than the fact that he just wants to be a criminal. And that's exactly what he is," I tell him. We're at my house now, making our way up the steps of the apartment complex. I knock on the door for my mom.

"Okay, we're home now. Drop all this and focus on the meal we're about to have," I instruct Jesse, and he responds with a laugh. Mom opens the door.

"There's my gummy bear!" Mom screeches in excitement.

"I'm twenty-nine, Mom!" I yell as she pulls me into a hug. "I can't possibly be your gummy bear." Jesse grabs the items from my hands and proceeds into the house like he has many times before.

"You're my gummy bear, and there's no changing that," she says, pulling away from the hug and ruffling my already scattered hair. "Hi, Agent Wright." She greets Jesse. "Here for some free food?" she teases.

"Why not?" Jesse responds. "I'll help you in the kitchen!" he yells, following after her.

"I'll take a shower!" I call out, but they're too engrossed in their usual banter to hear me. I laugh to myself as I head to my room, tossing my bag on the bed and stripping immediately, heading straight to the shower.

The hot water cascades over me, washing away the grime and stress of the day. I let my mind wander, thinking about The Dominion and Andreas. The warmth of the water soothes my muscles, and I feel a sense of calm enveloping me. After a few minutes, I step out, wrapping myself in a towel. The mirror is fogged, and I wipe it clear, staring at my reflection. A mixture of exhaustion and determination looks back at me.

Dressed in fresh clothes, I make my way to the kitchen, where the mouthwatering aroma of dinner wafts through the air. Jesse and Mom are laughing, their camaraderie a comforting constant in my chaotic life. For a moment, everything feels normal, even if just for a fleeting second.