22.

Julia's POV:

I sat in the nursery, the soft glow of the nightlight casting shadows across the room. My twin girls, nestled in their cribs, were finally asleep after a restless night. I had just finished bottle-feeding them, but tears continued to stream down my cheeks as I wiped them away with trembling hands.

Marquez had dismissed my dreams of becoming a model with such casual cruelty as if my aspirations were nothing more than a childish fantasy. His lack of support hurt more deeply than I cared to admit.

I heard the soft click of the door opening and turned to see my mother entering with a tray of breakfast. She set it down on the bedside table and paused, her gaze falling on my tear-streaked face. Without a word, she gently took the babies from my arms, careful not to wake them.

"Why are you crying, Julia?" My mother's voice was filled with concern as she cradled the sleeping infants against her chest.

I sniffled, trying to compose myself. "Marquez... he... he said..." My voice faltered, unable to articulate the pain and disappointment I felt.

Her expression hardened, and she abruptly set the babies back in their cribs before turning to face me fully. "What did that man say to you?" Her tone was fierce, protective.

"He... he told me I couldn't be a model," I managed to say, my voice barely above a whisper. "He said it was a stupid idea."

My mother's eyes blazed with anger, her jaw clenching tightly. She slammed her hand down on the dresser beside me, startling me with the suddenness of her action. "That's it," she declared firmly, her voice resolute. "We're going to make that Jamaican bitch wish she never set foot in New Jersey."

"No, Mom," I pleaded, reaching out to grasp her arm. "Please, don't. It's not worth it."

Her gaze softened slightly as she looked down at me, but her resolve remained steadfast. "Julia, you deserve better than this. You deserve someone who believes in your dreams, who supports you no matter what."

"I know, Mom," I whispered, tears welling up again. "But Marquez... he's not worth it. Please, don't do anything rash."

She sighed heavily, her hand gently patting mine. "I just hate seeing you hurt like this, sweetheart. You deserve the world."

"I'll be okay," I assured her, though I wasn't sure if I believed it myself. The pain of Marquez's rejection cut deep, leaving me feeling raw and vulnerable.

My mother pulled me into a tight embrace, holding me close as I buried my face against her shoulder. "I love you, Julia," she murmured, her voice soothing and maternal. "We'll figure this out together, okay?"

I nodded against her shoulder, grateful for her unconditional love and support. Deep down, I knew that no matter what happened with Marquez, I had my mother by my side, ready to stand up for me and fight for my happiness.

As we held each other in the quiet nursery, the weight of Marquez's words began to lift slightly. With my mother's strength bolstering me, I felt a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, I could still chase my dreams and find my own path to happiness.

Marquez's pov

That's it she has been throwing jabs at me since yesterday and it's time for us to talk. Thelma walks downstairs wearing her robe and head tie.

"Morning boss man." She said with a smirk on her face. I squint my eyes at her. "What was that song you were playing talking about something called kuff."

She giggled and walked over to me. "Baby, it's just a Jamaican song nothing serious about it."

"Whatever you say, Thelma. So what are you going to do today?" She hums and thinks about what she's about to say.