Priyanka cake cutting for her cousin Raju Birthday

"What do you mean, no birthday?" Priyanka's voice echoed in the cavernous hallway of her penthouse apartment, the sound of her heels clacking against the marble floor. She held the phone tightly to her ear, her makeup-free face a mask of disbelief.

 She held the phone tightly to her ear, her makeup-free face a mask of disbelief

"Priyu, you know how we are," her aunt said, a note of apology in her voice. "We don't believe in these commercialized celebrations. But don't worry, we're just keeping it simple."

Priyanka's heart sank. She hadn't seen Raju, her uncle's son, in years, and she knew how much he looked up to her. His wide eyes had always followed her every move, and she felt a warmth spread through her chest when she thought of his innocent admiration. Without another moment's hesitation, she made up her mind. "I'm coming to the village," she declared. "I'll bring the party to him."

Her aunt sighed, the line crackling with resignation. "But you know how your uncle feels about your..."

Priyanka cut her off. "It's just me, Auntie. I won't cause a scene." She knew her uncle wasn't a fan of her acting career, but she couldn't bear the thought of leaving Raju disappointed.

The next morning, she packed a small bag and set off on the long journey to her uncle's house. The countryside rolled by outside the car window, a stark contrast to the bustling city she'd left behind. The air grew warmer and more fragrant with each mile, filled with the scent of mango blossoms and the distant chatter of village life. When she arrived, the house looked just as she remembered it: a simple, whitewashed building with a red-tiled roof, surrounded by a riot of greenery.

Raju's eyes widened when he saw her, dressed in a vibrant yellow sari that billowed around her in the breeze. He had only ever seen her on the big screen, her navel a siren's call from a world of glamour and excitement that felt so far removed from his own. Now, here she was, standing before him in the flesh, her belly button a real, tangible thing.

 Now, here she was, standing before him in the flesh, her belly button a real, tangible thing

"Happy birthday, Raju," she called out, her laughter as bright as the sun.

Her uncle had left early for the fields, leaving them alone in the vast, verdant garden that surrounded the house. The air was filled with the sweet scent of jasmine and the gentle hum of bees as they flitted from one blossom to the next. The sun was already high in the sky, casting dappled shadows across the emerald grass.