Still beating

Click

Clack

Click

Clack.

Jingling metal could be heard.

The sound of the twist of a doorknob.

Creak.

"Y/n dear, I'm back." her voice was coated with a sweetened honey.

a slight smile could be seen on y/n's lips. "Welcome back, mother."

"How was your interview?" Y/n asked in a flat tone. She didn't sound curious in the slightest.

Her question sounded more like repeated a practice, than genuine curiosity.

A blonde woman in a long maid uniform took her mother's coat, and the brown bags she held in her hands.

"Ah, y/n. You should know I am not the one doing the interviewing.. but how was your day my dear?"

"It went well. We haven't done any serious activities, which slightly surprises me. I've met a girl named Kano nana though, she seemed sweet."

Y/n spoke, as she sat on the couch by the window, running a comb through her smooth hair.

Y/n's mother shifted her gaze slightly at her words.

"I see... just.. be careful y/n. You don't want..anymore on your plate now, do you?"
She asked, though it sounded a little more like a threat. slight seriousness was in her voice.

Y/n nodded, a curated smile appeared on her face.

"Of course mother, you have nothing to worry yourself over."

"Alright my dear."

Y/n's mother made her way through the hallway, passing the room y/n was in.

You could hear her calling one of the servants to help her distribute the groceries in the fridge.

"I'll ask her about it later..."

Y/n gently shook her head before grabbing her back pack, and making her way upstairs to her bedroom.

She put her backpack down beside her desk. She rolled out her wheeled chair, sitting herself on it, then turning on her desk light.

Grabbing a notebook out from a drawer in her desk, she opened to an empty page.

She was about to put her pencil on the page, but she heard the click of her doorknob.

Y/n turned her head towards the door.

Her mother's eyes and nose peaked through little slit between the door and the frame.

"Dear, it's your mother."

Y/n nodded to her with a gentle smile.

"Come in."

Her mother opened the door and walked in, holding a white bag in her right hand.

She looked down at her daughter's book and pencil.

"Ah.. y/n. What could you possibly be studying on the first day?"

Oh.

Y/n shook her head.

"I wasn't studying, I just took some time to myself.. I was going to...draw."

Y/n spoke with slight hesitation.

Her mother chuckled at her behaviour.

"Don't worry, I didn't come to reprimand you. Just make sure you aren't drawing in class. Well, just don't bring your sketchbook to school. It could stay at home."