Chapter 6: Family Meeting

That morning, Phoebe awoke with a single strange thought in her head. Quietly, she got out of bed, careful not to wake Natalie. Then she snuck into the garage, grabbing a few screwdrivers, tweezers, and a spirit-extraction gun. Dumping the contents of her slowly-formulating science experiment onto the kitchen table, she crept upstairs, back into her room, to get a pen and paper. By now, Natalie was awake.

"What are you doing?" She mumbled, her head barely poking out from under the sheets.

"Nothing. Go back to sleep." Phoebe was about to leave the room when she stopped. "Actually...I think I know why you aren't getting your memories back."

***

A while later, Phoebe called a family meeting in the living room. By now, she'd successfully taken apart (and put back together) the spirit-extraction gun.

"This is gonna sound a little crazy, so I need all of you to just...hear me out." She said as everyone got seated.

"Can we make this quick?" Trevor yawned, collapsing onto the couch, his hair an uncombed mess.

"Trevor, this is serious. So, I was up this morning, thinking about why Natalie isn't getting any of her memories back..."

"Natalie?" Callie asked.

"It's my temporary name," Natalie smiled, hands folded across her lap, "Phoebe, continue."

"Right, so, I was starting to think it had something to do with the gun. I figured, 'Who knows? Maybe it's faulty.' So I took it apart, and it isn't, in case anyone was wondering."

"Get on with it!" Trevor groaned.

"Okay, okay! So, Natalie, I don't know if you remember, but in the library, we used the gun on you. To try and remove the possessor from your body. And I think...a little more than just the possessor got removed."

Phoebe felt a change in the atmosphere. Natalie shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Callie set her coffee cup down. Gary, who had been half-asleep the entire time, suddenly woke up a little. Even Trevor seemed slightly interested now.

"I saw something, getting dragged along with that ghost," Phoebe said, taking her eyes off the group and looking directly at Natalie instead, "I saw...you. Natalie, I think a third of you is missing. I think that ghost took some of you on its way out. That's why you can't remember anything."

Phoebe looked down, adjusting her glasses, suddenly feeling self-conscious. "Okay, um...that's all. Family meeting over."

"How do I get them back?" Natalie demanded, her eyebrows all scrunched up, "My memories. Are they gone forever?"

"What do we do, Pheebs?" Callie said, a surprising amount of concern in her voice.

"Yeah, so...I had another idea. But I don't think any of you will like it."

"Why not?"

"Well...it's not exactly legal."