Chapter 13: Confiding in Family

Coraline sat at her kitchen table, the weight of the past few days pressing heavily on her shoulders. The sun streamed through the window, but its warmth did little to alleviate the chill that had settled deep within her. She stared at her phone, her finger hovering over her mother's contact. She needed to talk to someone, to get some perspective on the swirling storm of doubt and fear consuming her.

Finally, she pressed the call button. The phone rang twice before her mother's warm, familiar voice answered. "Hi, sweetie! It's so good to hear from you."

"Mom," Coraline began, her voice trembling, "I need to talk to you. It's about Tobias... and John."

There was a brief pause on the other end. "Okay, honey. Why don't you come over? Nancy's here too. We can all talk."

Half an hour later, Coraline arrived at her mother's cozy suburban home. The scent of freshly baked cookies greeted her as she stepped inside, a stark contrast to the turmoil in her mind. Joanne and Nancy were waiting for her in the living room, their faces lined with concern.

"What's going on, Coraline?" Nancy asked as they sat down, her tone a mix of curiosity and worry.

Taking a deep breath, Coraline began to recount everything that had happened—the warnings from John, his disappearance, the confrontation with Tobias, and her growing suspicions. As she spoke, the weight on her chest seemed to lighten, if only slightly.

When she finished, Joanne reached out and took Coraline's hand. "Sweetheart, this is serious. If you really believe Tobias might be dangerous, you need to be very careful."

Nancy nodded in agreement. "I remember reading about the 'Red Devil' serial killer in the news. It's terrifying to think that Tobias could be involved, but you can't ignore your instincts. Have you told the police any of this?"

Coraline shook her head, tears brimming in her eyes. "I didn't have any concrete evidence, just my suspicions and what John told me. And now, with John missing..."

Joanne's grip on her hand tightened. "We need to protect you, Coraline. You can't stay with Tobias if there's even a chance he might be the Red Devil. Why don't you come stay here for a while? At least until we figure out what's going on."

Coraline nodded, grateful for the support. "I think that's a good idea. But what if Tobias realizes I've left? What if he comes after me?"

Nancy frowned, thinking hard. "We'll have to be smart about this. Maybe we can make it seem like you're just visiting us for a few days. Don't pack too much, just the essentials. We don't want to tip him off."

Joanne looked at Coraline, her eyes filled with a mixture of love and fear. "And we should tell the police about your suspicions, even if they're just that. They need to know about Tobias and his connection to John's disappearance."

Coraline felt a surge of gratitude toward her mother and sister. "Thank you both. I don't know what I'd do without you."

That evening, Coraline returned to her apartment with a small overnight bag, acting as casual as possible. Tobias was in the kitchen, preparing dinner. He looked up as she entered, a smile on his face. "Hey, there you are. I was starting to wonder where you went."

"Just visiting my mom and Nancy," Coraline replied, keeping her tone light. "They wanted me to stay over for a few days. You know how they can be."

Tobias's smile faltered for a moment, but he quickly recovered. "Of course. Family is important. I'll miss you, though."

Coraline forced a smile. "I'll be back before you know it."

As she packed a few more essentials, Coraline's mind raced. She had to keep up the facade, had to act normal. But inside, she was terrified. What if Tobias saw through her? What if he realized she was planning to leave?

When she was finally ready, Tobias walked her to the door, his demeanor seemingly unchanged. "Be safe," he said, leaning in to kiss her. "And call me if you need anything."

"I will," Coraline replied, her heart pounding in her chest.

Back at her mother's house, Coraline felt a sense of relief wash over her. She was safe, for now. But she knew this was only the beginning. She had to find out the truth about Tobias and John's disappearance. And she had to do it quickly.

The next morning, Coraline and her family went to the police station. She recounted everything, from John's warnings to his disappearance and her suspicions about Tobias. The officers listened carefully, taking notes.

"We'll look into it," one of the officers assured her. "In the meantime, stay with your family and avoid contact with Tobias. We'll keep you updated on any developments."

As they left the station, Coraline felt a renewed sense of determination. She would find out what happened to John. And if Tobias was truly the Red Devil, she would make sure he was brought to justice. The safety of her loved ones depended on it.