Chapter 2

_____________°°°_____________

Present.

1st March 2013.

Hyemin lay on her bed, staring into the dark, empty space of her room. The faint light from the sunset outside cast long shadows on the walls, but it did little to penetrate the gloom that enveloped her. All she could hear were the echoes of that fateful day almost two years ago, the shattering sound of mirrors, the screeching tires, and the heart-wrenching cries that followed. Her father's accident replayed in her mind relentlessly, a haunting vision she couldn't escape. Her eyes widened, and she felt the familiar rush of panic setting in.

Before she could drown further in her thoughts, the door to her room creaked open. Her mother, Katsuki stood in the doorway with a gentle smile, trying to mask her own sorrow.

"Hyeminnie can you go to the supermarket and grab a few things for dinner?" she asked softly, her voice a soothing balm against the harsh memories.

Hyemin nodded abruptly, eager for any distraction that could pull her out of the nightmare looping in her head. She got up and grabbed her hoodie, heading out the door without another word.

The cool evening air greeted her as she stepped onto the familiar streets of Jeonju. The neighborhood was a mix of old and new, traditional Hanok houses standing side by side with modern buildings. Despite living here for nearly a decade, Hyemin still felt like a stranger in her own skin. She walked down the narrow streets, nodding politely at the shopkeepers and neighbors who greeted her. Their faces were familiar, but the sense of belonging still surrounded her.

She passed by the old bakery where the owner, Mrs. Park, waved warmly. "Hyemin-ah, how are you today?" she called out.

Hyemin managed a small smile. "I'm fine, thank you," she replied, though her voice lacked conviction.

As she continued her walk, her thoughts drifted back to her father. Junho had been her pillar of strength, always encouraging her to follow her dreams. The memory of their martial arts training sessions in the backyard brought a bittersweet smile to her lips. He had been so full of life, so determined to see her succeed. His sudden absence left a void that nothing seemed to fill.

Lost in her thoughts, she almost walked past the supermarket. Shaking her head to clear the lingering thoughts, she entered the store and grabbed a basket. She moved through the aisles mechanically, picking up the items on her mother's list, rice, vegetables, tofu, and some spices. Each item she placed in the basket felt heavier than it should, the weight of her grief adding to the physical burden.

As she approached the cashier, she caught a glimpse of her reflection in the glass door of a refrigerator. The girl staring back at her looked older than her fifteen years, the shadows under her eyes a testament to sleepless nights and unspoken sorrow. She quickly averted her gaze, unwilling to confront the person she had become.

After paying for the groceries, Hyemin stepped out into the night once more. The streets were quieter now, the hustle and bustle of the day giving way to the serene calm of evening. She took a deep breath, trying to let the tranquility of her surroundings soothe her troubled mind.

Hyemin walked through the quiet streets of Jeonju, the weight of her thoughts pressing down on her shoulders. As she passed familiar sights and greeted neighbors, her mind drifted to her father once more. The memories were still fresh, raw with emotion that threatened to overwhelm her. Determined to find a moment of respite, she decided to take a detour.