1

The barren land was covered with dry soil, where not a single blade of grass could grow. The only thing moistening this ground was dried blood. A few banners were stuck in the ground, fluttering in the cold wind.

A man was sitting on a rock. He was old; his hair had turned white, and his skin was a pale mixture of gray and tan. His eyes were orange, carrying a piercing coldness in their gaze. His face was frightening, yet not ugly. On the contrary, he had a very charismatic aura. Despite his age, his body was rock-solid, quite masculine. What made him frightening were his cold, piercing eyes.

He wore a gray cloak and carried a bag on his back. He stood up, fastened his sword’s scabbard to his belt, and looked at the corpses around him, muttering, “A bunch of fools.”

After pausing briefly, the man began to walk heavily. The ground crunched beneath each step, leaving marks on its dry surface. The surrounding landscape resembled a scene dominated by death and decay. In these lands worn down by years and wars, the traces of life were almost entirely erased.

Finally, he reached his destination. On the ground lay a woman in a purple robe, her dark purple hair spread around her. She held a magic staff in her hand. “So, you’ve come, Subaru,” she spoke with difficulty, her voice barely audible due to the arrows lodged in her chest.

Subaru knelt on one knee and took the woman’s hand.

“We’ve changed quite a bit, haven’t we?” the woman said, looking at the sky. “From a foolish girl throwing little fireballs around and a jester with a wooden stick to this.”

Subaru did not speak; he just looked at her with a flat expression. The woman caressed his cheek. “I miss the old you. The one who never stopped talking, constantly telling silly stories. Like those giant buildings and iron carriages.”

Subaru’s face remained expressionless. “Times change,” he said in a harsh voice. “Living in the past is a sign of weakness.”

The woman smiled faintly, a mix of pain and nostalgia. “Do you remember, Subaru? When you were a child, you would shout ‘I will be a hero!’ everywhere. You made a fool of yourself countless times.”

Subaru’s eyes narrowed. “That child is dead,” he said coldly. “Dreams of becoming a hero are just another form of foolishness.”

The woman continued to smile despite Subaru’s harshness. “Even back then, I saw the determination in you. Maybe that’s why I never let you go.”

Subaru looked into her eyes. “It wasn’t determination, just sheer stubbornness and ignorance,” he said sharply. “And that foolish child was too weak to withstand the harshness of the real world.”

The woman took a deep breath, drawing in the pain. “Maybe so. But without that child, today’s Subaru wouldn’t exist.”

There was a slight twitch on Subaru’s face. “Today’s Subaru survived by learning from past mistakes. Clinging to childish dreams of the past is nothing but accepting defeat.”

The woman’s eyes filled with tears. “Not defeat, Subaru. Our past shapes who we are. Those memories are what make us strong.”

Subaru held the woman’s hand tightly. “Living with the ghosts of the past, we can’t have a future,” he said firmly. “Our path is only forward.”

The woman nodded weakly with a faint smile. “Maybe you’re right. But still, those childhood memories made you the strong man you are today. Remember, Subaru, we exist not just with our mistakes, but with our dreams too.”

Subaru released her hand and stood up. “Dreams are a luxury I can no longer afford. Only realities, just realities,” he said coldly. “Now rest. We still have much to do.”