1.

"Okay Char. Thanks, bye!"

Siobhan glanced over to the doorway of Marjorie's office as an unfamiliar voice interrupted her third phone call of the morning at only 7:45am. A number that would no doubt be higher if Siobhan hadn't managed to steal a few minutes peace in the preschool room, her mobile left to ring to itself in an office draw.

"I have to go now. Yes, I will call you back." Removing the phone from her ear and hanging up, all Siobhan could do was close her eyes and sigh.

"Hiya."

Eyes open.

Steeling herself, Siobhan turned her attention toward the unfamiliar voice. "Yes?"

"Oh, hello, um, where's Marjorie and Autumn?"

Stood in the doorway was a woman she didn't recognise as a parent here. She had black hair that stopped just above her shoulders, emerald green eyes, and the most gorgeous freckles— much like Siobhan's own. These weren't the things Siobhan noticed about the woman though. The first being her annoyingly cheery voice for the time of morning (or any time of day to Siobhan's mind), the second was how tired she looked.

"One of the staff members has had a baby, so they've gone to go and see it."

"Most people don't refer to a baby as an 'it'," the woman replied, slightly taken aback by her choice of pronoun.

"I'm not most people." Siobhan deadpanned.

"Clearly. Uh, well, here's Jamie's reply slip for your next walk to the park." The dark haired woman produced a folded slip of paper from her back pocket, holding it out for Siobhan to take.

Ding. Ding.

Reply slip in hand, Siobhan's eyes quickly darted to her phone she'd put down on the desk. "I'll put this with the others."

Ding. Ding. Ding.

"Persistent aren't they?"

Siobhan could feel herself going hot with embarrassment, felt her anger bubbling up and threatening to spill over, but she swallowed it down.

"Was there something else you needed?"

"No, no," the woman answered quickly, "I will... see you tonight." She shot a small smile in Siobhan's direction before turning on her heels and leaving the office.

Ding.

Siobhan grabbed her phone and pulled the desk drawer open, tossed it inside and slammed it shut again.

"Tonight."

Author's note - Sorry this first part is so short and nothing really new! I wanted to get this first bit up and I'll post the next as soon as. The story is already unfolding in my head and in my notes app. :)